Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good winter campground

Thanks

Default A good winter campground

ok,

I am looking to see if anyone on the forums has ever winter camped near Mt. Washington. My plan is to camp then wake up early and go to the Pinkham notch center and begin our climb. So, I want to have a campground relatively close to highway 16 and the pinkham notch center. Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Default Campground

It depends on what you're looking for. If you're just looking for back country winter camping then the place to do it is at Hermit Lake Shelters. You'll be 1/2 way up Mount Washington if you camp there. They are just open air shelters located on the Tuckerman Ravine Trail. First come, first serve. They're on your map.

http://timefortuckerman.com/hermitlake.html

KDT
    Last edited by KD Talbot; 09-23-2008 at 08:29 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iceclimber View Post
    ok,

I am looking to see if anyone on the forums has ever winter camped near Mt. Washington. My plan is to camp then wake up early and go to the Pinkham notch center and begin our climb. So, I want to have a campground relatively close to highway 16 and the pinkham notch center. Thanks in advance.
    We have a great camp here in Tamworth!! It is called Joe and Diane's Hideaway LOL. I sit here in front of the fireplace and stay warm all winter!! HeHeHeHeHe
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Give me the outdoors, and I will show you the world!!

Thanks

Barnes Field off Dolly Copp Road is a nice valley location that allows winter camping as well. Run by the NFS...
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

Thanks. I'll look into those options.

Thanks

ok,

I have winter camped at hermits a bunch. When you wake up you'er half way up.
    Think Snow

Thanks

Thanks for the info, but we probably won't camp at Hermits. We will drive up from Central NY on the 26th and plan to climb the 27th or 28th depending upon weather. If the weather is not good we have to get back to NY on the 29th, so I will have to try again in March. So, we will not start climbing at least until the morning of the 27th. So, we need a campsite for the night of the 26th. If we came up and the weather on the summit was bad, I suppose we could climb to Hermits and camp and try again in the morning of the 27th. If not, then we'll have to camp two nights at the campsite we initially do end up taking.
    Last edited by iceclimber; 09-24-2008 at 08:36 PM. Reason: added to it.
    "Commitment is doing the thing you said you'd do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." - Bear Grylls' mother

Thanks

If I were interested in the Hermit lake shelter, would I contact the AMC website or the pinkham notch visitor center?
    "Commitment is doing the thing you said you'd do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." - Bear Grylls' mother

Thanks

If I were interested in the Hermit lake shelter, would I contact the AMC website or the pinkham notch visitor center?
    I always just call Pinkhams and they can give an idea how busy it will be. It is 1st come 1st serve though.
    Think Snow

Thanks

yeah, I just called and they said the same. They said in December it shouldn't be too crazy busy. I think we will plan to arrive in North Conway early on the 26th and rent some gear my Brother-in-law will need, then we will head up to the visitor center and hopefully there will be some spaces still available to rent. Then we will hike up to the shelter and spend the night and the next day we can wake up and check conditions up higher and see if it is a go. I was told by the AMC that the conditions and predictions for the days weather can be found at the Hermit Lake Shelter.