Thread: Cardigan/Firescrew loop

Thanks

Default Cardigan/Firescrew loop

I left my house @ 3:30 this morning and arrive at the Cardigan AMC lodge @ 6:45 The sun was just starting to come up and I hit the trail @ 7:00 after doing a little bit of stretching to try to make sure my knees did better this time (they didn't "ouch"). The trail was really in great shape covered in colorful leaves.

All was great pretty much all the way to the summit where it go very, no let me rephrase that extremly windy and cold. When I left my truck it said 38 degrees and with this wind it had to be single digits.

I did not stay on the summit long and headed over to Firescrew and as usual on the way down the granite both knees started to bother me again so when I got a little further down on went the knee braces but that only helped a little. By now I was out of the wind and a little warmer. It does not take to long to get over to Firescrew and the trail is marked really good. The view were pretty but you can still see alot of green.

I also came upon I guess you could call this a little pond.

I took my time decending back to the lodge and met alot of really nice people on thier way up.I also found this little leaf just begging for me to take its picture.

Well the hike back to the truck was pretty uneventful except for hurting knees it was a great hike. I got a big surpise when I got back to the truck because when I got there, there was only about 8 cars now it was 11:15 and both parking lots were full and there had to be about 20-30 cars parked on the road. As recommended I stopped at the orchad and brought home a fresh baked apple pie. I highly recommend Delicious. I have a more pictures in the link below so feel free to look. Althou some of the pic's. are out of order. (sorry)
    http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...escrew%20loop/

Thanks

Thanks for the great TR Chris!! Sorry to hear about your knees, Joe has that problem too. With me it's mainly my back, and heel spurs in the left foot. Beautiful pics, who cares if they aren't in order?? If you hadn't of said anything I wouldn't have known the difference.
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Give me the outdoors, and I will show you the world!!

Thanks

MsCntry,

Were you up in Pinkham Notch late this afternoon ( @ 5:30)??????

I saw a NH license plate "MSCNTRY" pulled off Rt 16 in the vicinity of 19 Mile Brook trail head as I was leaving a <very> long day of work.

' s'tat U?

Breeze

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
    MsCntry,

Were you up in Pinkham Notch late this afternoon ( @ 5:30)??????

I saw a NH license plate "MSCNTRY" pulled off Rt 16 in the vicinity of 19 Mile Brook trail head as I was leaving a <very> long day of work.

' s'tat U?

Breeze
    ' S'Tat B Me!!! LOL
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Thanks

LOLOL !

You got the very best part of the day so Good on YOU!

The clouds did rise this afternoon giving a God'ly good show for the patient and mindful of the after 4 pm October Kodak Moments.

Sorry for the traffic cluster, believe me, I felt it, too. I should have tooted at you but didn't see anyone in the car.

Breeze

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
    LOLOL !

You got the very best part of the day so Good on YOU!

The clouds did rise this afternoon giving a God'ly good show for the patient and mindful of the after 4 pm October Kodak Moments.

Sorry for the traffic cluster, believe me, I felt it, too. I should have tooted at you but didn't see anyone in the car.

Breeze
    I am so glad I waited until afternoon then!! I got some gorgeous pictures!! I am working on sizing them now, Will get them posted soon!! If I was parked along 16, I was never far from the truck LOL.I think that is what I love best. Living in the White Mountains and being able to drive just up the road and enjoy days like this!!
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Thanks

Great TR Chris. You really paid the price for the very early start with the cold and wind. We debated until the last second (about 20 minutes before the exit) and wound up doing Morgan/Percival or we might have met you on the trail as well (would have been about a 10:00 start if we did Cardigan). I'll post my TR later today. Sorry to hear that the knees are still giving you problems. Sure takes something out of the hike. Thanks goodness for "vitamin I".
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Wow, what lovely, lovely photos. Thank you so much for posting them! You got the foilage views I had hoped to have today. Congrats on a great hike!

Thanks

Default Great!

Great pictures and Tr, Chris! Nice hike, that Cardigan!

KDT

Thanks

Beautiful pictures! Glad you had a good hike! Cardigan is a wonderful mountain!

Valerie