Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with route planning in Sandwich Range please

Thanks

Default Help with route planning in Sandwich Range please

Hello -
    Planning to do a 3day/2night backpacking trip in the White Mountains next weekend and I'm looking for comments on our intended route. I, personally, have never been to the WM. My trip partner has been there but not in a while.
    Here is what we've mapped out:

start at oliverian brook trailhead
    to passaconoway cutoff
    to square ledge trail
    to walden trail to mount passaconoway
    to dicey's mill trail
    to rollins trail
    to whiteface summit
    to kate sleeper trail
    summit east sleeper, and back to the downes brook trail back to the road walk the road back to our car at the oliverian trailhead

A few specific questions:
    which points make the best overnight stops (I realize below the treeline)
    given that we are in moderate physical shape and have decent experience, is the route too aggressive or too easy? Anything we should add/subtract?
    We thought of adding the Tripyramids, but we're not sure if that would be overkill - comments?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help us out.
    Cheers,
    Lisa

Thanks

Default Overnight

For most experienced hikers this would be a moderate day trip. Adding overnight packs will make the trip somewhat harder, but still quite doable. If you plan on being out for three days definitely include the Tripyramids. Short easy hike from East Sleeper to the summit of South Tripyramid. If you parked at Downe's Brook Trailhead you could return via the Sabbaday Brook Trail and have a short road walk to return to your car. This would mean a roadwalk at the beginning and the end of the hike, which you may or may not want to do.

This route over the Tripyramids will avoid the difficult North and South Slides by simply traversing the ridge between South and North Tripyramid summits. Most of this hike will be in the Sandwich Range Wilderness Area and specific camping rules will apply, check here:

http://www.wodc.org/yourtrip.htm

Good luck, and I always charge a full trip report and pictures for my knowledge and experience.

KDT

Thanks

Yeah, I have to agree with KD. We did that trip a little while ago and managed to finish the hike and get back home (in southern NH, maybe two hours away) by three o'clock or so. Unless you're in horrible shape, I'd say no harm in adding a little something else to the trip.

Thanks

Default Thanks!

Thanks for your great replies!

Your suggestions confirmed our doubts and we've added all three tripyramids via the south side and we are gonna hike out Sabbaday.

Can anyone suggest locations for camp sites (tent - we don't want shelters or huts). We are thinking about hiking in early Friday night to get a jump start on the weekend - what do you guys think? That being said, we'll camp Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday night - hike out on Monday.

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Lisa

Thanks

Default Campsites

You'll be able to find good spots off of Oliverian Brook Trail, then on East Sleeper and then off of Sabbaday Brook Trail. Just keep your eyes open for them. Keep in mind you need to be 200' off the trail and no campfires. Peruse the site I linked earlier as there may be specific rules for this wilderness area.

KDT

Thanks

Thanks again KD - good to know.
    We have reviewed the rules and regs of the area, and maybe I misunderstood, but I thought that some areas allowed campfires. Can you please link me to that page - I guess I missed it!
    Thanks for the info - I'd hate to break an important rule like that.

L

Thanks

Default Fires? Maybe...

I guess it depends where you are. Most backpackers carry a lightweight BP stove, like a Jetboil:

http://www.rei.com/category/4500028

THe idea is to hike and camp and "Leave No Trace".

http://www.lnt.org/

Backcountry rules here:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/whit...es_2008-09.pdf

KDT

Thanks

Ok thanks - that's what I was hoping.
    We do have a stove, which we will use for sure - but we were planning on having the option of using a fire as a backup (so we don't have to carry both stoves).

We certainly respect and cooperate with the LNT philosophies - we would like our kids to see what we saw someday!

Thanks again for all your help - we're really looking forward to next weekend.
    Stay tuned for trip report.

Thanks

Default Help with route planning in Sandwich Range please

Well forums with any site is always supported to make more people aware of the things they dont know. Well i think here we can get more what we expected.The White Mountains are bounded on the west (and north) by the Connecticut River basin, and on the south by the Lakes Region of central New Hampshire. (NH route 25 is a decent southern boundary.) To the east they cross the border into Maine, and subside gradually toward the coast. To the northeast, the boundary is drawn somewhat arbitrarily at Grafton Notch, where the main line of the Appalachians assumes the name of Blue Mountains.

Mack

Washington Alcohol Addiction Treatment

Thanks

Default Water sources?

We are finally heading up this Friday to do the trip above. I am concerned that there is a lack of visible water sources on the trail map past east sleeper. Can anyone comment on this? We were planning to carry 2 quarts each, filtering along the way from available sources - but may need to carry more by the looks of it.

Thanks!

Lisa