Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A few White Mountain shots from the weekend...

Thanks

Utterly astonishing. It looks like the NH I know, but transposed onto some higher, more luminescent plane of existence. Magnificent.

Now, you're probably loathe to reveal secrets, but you can't say you just whipped out your camera and pushed the button, can you? What's it take to make the colours so vibrant like that?

I'm headed up there on Friday - I'll be sure to have my camera along.
    Last edited by Acrophobe; 10-07-2008 at 09:57 PM.

Thanks

Absolutely beautiful stuff!!! The first image is really great. It looks like it was taken at a wide part of the Amonusuc, west of Gorham, that I've seen on the map but only envisioned the view.

The moose image is really nice as well. It's so hard to catch a mama and two calves like that. I like the look on all the faces.

They are all very inspiring as well as beautiful.

The image titled "Magic Light" on your Flickr page is sensational. It has such great beauty and mood, very uplifting.

Congrats, and keep 'em coming
    nature photography of the White Mountains
    by Patrick LaFreniere
    new site: www.pbase.com/myworld

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Acrophobe View Post

Now, you're probably loathe to reveal secrets, but you can't say you just whipped out your camera and pushed the button, can you? What's it take to make the colours so vibrant like that?
    I don't at all mind revealing my secrets, mainly because there is no magic bullet. The images are the result of scouting, planning, practice and timing. I only shoot during the magic hours, or when the light dictates the right conditions for a scene. I'm terribly picky...and at this point know what will work and what won't before I push the shutter.

As far as colors, I prefer to get my shots right in camera rather than in photoshop, but some photoshop is unavoidable. To keep it at a minimum, I extensively use filters, mainly polarizers and graduated neutral density filters to get the exposure right the first time, and to allow the right amount light to reach my sensor for maximum effect.

If you have any questions, or want honest critique on technique and composition, I can happily provide.

Thanks again all!
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

Thumbs up

Stunning. As I told another very talented photographer not too long ago, to say I'm bush league compared to you implies that I even play the same sport. I'm not even close. I am, however, in awe.
    Mark
    Randomography
    MJ Pics

Thanks

Very nice we don't have the money for a lot of camera equipment just yet, but I am hoping someday I might be able to get everything I need to take photos like yours and Gnomes.
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Give me the outdoors, and I will show you the world!!

Thanks

Your pictures are incredible and I hope to someday be able to take some as great as them. If you don't mind could you tell me what epuipment you use to take them. I have an older Canon Rebel (only 6.3mp) and a 28-105mm image stab. lens and a 70-300 tele. non image stab. and I just picked up the Canon G9 mainly for hiking and carry in my lunch box everyday (just in case) which I find takes some pretty good pictures. I have been looking @ the Canon D40 becuase all my lenses will fit but I know Canon just came out (i believe) with a 15 mp body I think is a either d50 or 5d I forget but it is suppose to be around 1500.00 so I will have to save as not to give my wife sticker shock. Yes I like Canon.

Thanks

Thanks for sharing Jim, I can smell the fall air...
    "Welcome To My Shop, Let Me Cut Your Mop..." Bugs Bunny

http://public.fotki.com/Kriter/

Thanks

Beautiful work, Jim! I just added you as a friend on Flickr so I can keep an eye on your work

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS View Post
    If you don't mind could you tell me what epuipment you use to take them.
    Don't mind at all. I truly think that the camera itself is the least important factor in the equation. Lenses, filters and light are more important.

I have a Canon 20D. A few generations old, but it works fine and I see no need to upgrade until the 5DMarkII comes 1) out and 2) down in price.

My lenses...almost all of my shots are with the sigma 18-200. It's adequately sharp, lightweight and versital.

I also have a Canon 24mm prime, Canon 50mm prime macro, and a Sigma 150 Prime Macro.

Filters...These are important. I have a circular polarizer, a set of Neutral Density filters that cut light and slow the exposure, and two sets of Graduated Neutral Density filters that manipulate the light over half of an image at a time. These help balance bright skies with dark foregrounds during the magic hour.

I have photoshop elements. I typically don't do anything besides levels, dodge and burn, a bit of saturation and a bit of sharpening, but these steps are all important!

MOST Importantly though...my tripod! I almost never shoot anything without it, so I can refine a composition with precision.

I have an older Canon Rebel (only 6.3mp) and a 28-105mm image stab. lens and a 70-300 tele. non image stab. and I just picked up the Canon G9 mainly for hiking and carry in my lunch box everyday (just in case) which I find takes some pretty good pictures.
    Your cameras are more than good enough to do what you want them to do. Practice, practice, shoot in better and better light, and begin to recognize what type of light works in certain scenarios.

A professional photographer did a test with his G9 to see if his stock agency would accept images from it...write up here:

http://www.naturephotographers.net/a.../dw1207-1.html

I have been looking @ the Canon D40 becuase all my lenses will fit but I know Canon just came out (i believe) with a 15 mp body I think is a either d50 or 5d I forget but it is suppose to be around 1500.00 so I will have to save as not to give my wife sticker shock. Yes I like Canon.
    Canon is really pushing the MP race right now...and I don't see why. Number of pixels only allows you to print bigger. Quality of pixels is much more important. Fortunately they have improved that as well. They are releasing the 50D and the 5DMarkII this fall. For $2600, I both want and can wait for the 5DMarkII. I don't think I'd survive purchasing it before my girlfriend gets a specific piece of jewelry

Hope that helps!

Jim
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

Isn't sensor size more important than pixels when it comes to quality?
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight