Thread: Hancocks 10/17-18

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Hancocks 10/17-18

Hi everyone -
    Since my first trip to the White Mts was such a success, we're going to try to squeeze in one more overnight before we call it a season and we've decided to do the Hancocks next weekend.
    We plan to hike in, drop the packs and set up camp near the junction of the Hancock Loop Trail, and then continue onto both peaks before we return to our site. Then out and back home in the morning.

Since this is a popular day hike, we figured adding a camp night would make this a relaxing weekend. I read TrishandAlex's report on this trip and it looks perfect for what we're looking for (thanks for posting that, looks like you 2 have a ball together!).

My concerns: I'm hoping we're not too late in the year to enjoy this hike, and that we'll have the same luck with weather as we did last trip. I'm expecting the air to be much cooler than it was last month, too. I don't think water should be a problem since I see we follow a brook for a while.

As always, I'm interested in all comments, especially since we've never been on this route.
    See you out there!
    Lisa

Thanks

Default Hancocks

Hancocks are great. Both are short, very steep climbs so it doesn't make a big difference if you do them clockwise or the reverse. The in-between is probably a little harder going from south to north, as north is higher. I would say that most go clockwise on this trip. There is plenty of water before you get to the foot of the mountains, but none on the traverse. some crossings may be difficult if there is heavy rain. Some can be avoided by bushwhacking short distances along the riverbank. There are several good camping spots if you follow the usual guidelines. The summits are heavily forested but you may find some spots on North Hancock.

KDT

Thanks

I would agree on going clockwise, we found erosion was bad both in ascent and descent, but I would rather face the erosion in descending that you do when you go clockwise.
    Have a great trip!
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

Thanks

PS-Leave plenty of time to enjoy running the saddle between the two, its a wonderful high-altitude forest, and a pleasant walk!
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

Thanks

This time of year, "too late" really just depends on today's weather forecast. I've hiked in late October when it was 70, and then again last weekend I was pretty cold on Bondcliff.

We did Hancocks this very same weekend two years ago and it was a gorgeous day. A little chilly, but not bad for hiking at all.

Good luck and have fun!
    Valerie

Thanks

Hi Lisa!

Unless it's super cold, you hopefully won't have any problems with the weather. The hike is pretty much in the trees the entire way, shielding you from most/all of the wind.

It's an easy hike, the only steep bits being the .7 miles up and .5 miles down (going clockwise). You'll have a great time!