Thread: Mt Washington in fall

Thanks

Default Mt Washington in fall

Hi
    I'm planning to hike Mt Wash and go for the summit in early november. I'm just wondering which kind of weather I will face (I know there will be wind and snow, but how much?) Any advice for me? We will be a group of about 5. Thanks. EricCo

Thanks

Default MT Washington in Fall

How much is impossible to predict. The best advice is to prepare for the worst possible conditions. Get a weather report the morning of your hike and you'll know what to expect.
    Tim

Thanks

Default Weather?

Plan on severe, pack for severe. Have fun and be safe.
    ~Rich

Thanks

The early part of November can be fairly transitional still.

November is statistically the wettest month, with over 10 inches of liquid equivolent and over 40 inches of snow. Temperatures average in the teens for lows and 20s for highs...winds average nearly 40mph for the entire month. Pick a good day, and it's not bad...but it could be very very severe.

Here's norms:
    http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/normals.php

One thing that I can't understate about early season winter climbing is that the footing is terrible. Too much snow for boots, too little for crampons. Snow not compacted between rocks means much random postholing and knee twisting. Have fun...I'm waiting for December!
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

Thanks everybody
    That's how I anticipated everything. I just didn't want to have any surprises!
    Eric