Thread: Adams Slide Trail

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Adams Slide Trail

In the October '08 issue of AMC Outdoors there is an 1909 picture of Warren W. Hart, the person responsible for overseeing the completion of 10 trails in the Great Gulf. According to the article, all the trails are still in use today except the Adams Slide Trail. Does anyone know the when and why of the abandonment?
    Every landscape which is dreary enough has a certain beauty to my eyes, and in this instance
    its permanent qualities were enhanced by the weather. H.D. Thoreau

Thanks

Quick google search turned up this page:
    http://gullivers-nest.blogspot.com/2...ide-trail.html

Some tid bits from the page:

The Adams Slide Trail, last included in the White Mountain Guide in 1967, ascended 2300 feet over 1.25 miles.

It was too steep for any but the most experienced to use on a serious backpacking trip.

In some places, the Adams Slide Trail climbs at 45 degrees. Rockfalls inevitably took a heavy toll.

Since the AMC stopped maintenance, a trickle of hikers have continued to use the Adams Slide Trail, drawn by its steepness and historical interest. While blowdowns and thickets are major obstacles, particularly near the lower junction with the Buttress Trail, old red paint blazes are still visible below treeline. A surprising number of cairns still stand in the alpine tundra, marking the way up over Mt. John Quincy Adams before petering out just before the true summit.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Found another TR that was supposedly from 2000:

http://whitemountainlosttrails.com/B...AdamsSlide.htm
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

I appreciate the time taken to find this info. Has anyone tried this trail? I must've gone by this trail junction a number of times on the Buttress Trail and never noticed it.
    Every landscape which is dreary enough has a certain beauty to my eyes, and in this instance

Thanks

There's a link from VFTT with pictures from last year of a group that did it.

http://www.huiyengchang.com/hike/07a...ide/index.html

Thanks

Thanks for the link.

If I'm reading the map correctly, the Adams Slide trail began close to the tent-sites by the Jefferson Brook. From the pictures, it looks like quite a bit of bush-whacking.