Thread: A few questions on Mount Shaw.

Thanks

Default A few questions on Mount Shaw.

Hello again, fellow hikers. I've got a few questions about a hike I'm considering for tomorrow. I had hoped to get my dad to try one of the Presidentials, with that lovely new snow, but he doesn't seem to feel like undertaking something like that. So now, I'm considering biking to Mount Shaw. It's a mountain that I've wanted to do for a while, but never have. It's also one that isn't listed in the AMC book. Kevin mentioned it a while ago, but I remember little about it.
    My questions are:
    1. Where's the trailhead nearest Somersworth, NH? Distance isn't really a problem, but I'd still like to keep it as reasonable as possible. I'm hoping to not have to bike more then eighty miles tomorrow.
    2. How long is the trail?
    3. And is it worth the climb? I hate getting to the top of a mountain and not being able to see over the trees.
    4. What's the shortest trail? Call me a pansy if you want, but I'd like to shave off distance where I can.

Thanks.

Thanks

Default Mt. Shaw

Shaw is an awesome summit. The whole of the White Mountains are laid out in front of you from the northern viewpoint. The trailhead is on Rte 171 across from a road I can't think of the name of. I'll look it up when I get home and update the post. This trail makes the hike about 4 miles, 8 miles RT. There is really only one semi-steep section, and above this you are on carriage roads. If you go from Castle Springs parking lot you can take carriage roads the whole way, but it is considerably longer.

Visit Black Snout for views south and west of Lake Winnepesaukee.

Enjoy!

KDT

Thanks

Default Update

The trailhead is across from Sodom Road. It is not marked as I recall, but runs beside a brook with some excellent campsites which are unfortunately on private property and I'm sure you would need permission to use.

As you approach from the east watch for Sunny Meadows Farm, then Sodom Road. Trailhead is on th right.

Charge for info: Pictures and TR.

KDT

Thanks

A belated thanks to you, Kevin, for that. As it turned out, I didn't go because I found out it was a 94 mile round trip. I'm in decent shape, and I'm sure I could have ridden that far and still climbed the mountain, but it wouldn't have been an enjoyable outing. I still hope to climb it, though - looks like a fun hike.

Ah well. I'll probably be doing Jackson on Friday with a friend, so there's something anyway.
    Last edited by Acrophobe; 10-29-2008 at 09:44 AM.

Thanks

Default Shaw

I am planning a trip there on 11/16 which will include several of the smaller peaks surrounding it. Jim Salge may be along, along with several folks from other forums. We plan on an estimated 10 mile RT.

Mount Shaw is the highest peak of the Ossipee Range. The Ossipees are recently becoming popular again due to improved access and trails. They are geologically interesting as they form what is known as a "Ring Dyke". The "leftovers" of an ancient volcano.

Anyone interested in joining us send me a PM and I will send you details of the hike.

KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot View Post
    IThey are geologically interesting as they form what is known as a "Ring Dyke". The "leftovers" of an ancient volcano.
    KDT
    KD, the description is accurate, however, your spelling of dike is slightly off. Generally, geologists prefer the "i" over the "y" which has another connotation entirely that I won't go into here...

Thanks

Default Uhhh...

Freudian slip?

KDT