Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: More pictures of the mountain cat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KathyC View Post
    Ryan, is Marty enjoying the toys that I left for him?

I bought the ones that my cat plays with most. Mine especially loves the mouse on a string, sometimes I here it squeeking in the middle of the night..
    Kathy, I am not sure which toys are yours but by the sounds of the squeeky mouse, I know that is one toy he, and the observers like playing with. Marty is enjoying all the toys he has gotten. The only thing we can't get him into are these bowls with a ball in them. I like to play with them by spinnin the ball in them really fast but the cat will have nothing to do with them once I put it down with the ball still spinning. We have two different types and nothing. But like I said, all other toys, especially when string is attached is the cats meow. So thanks to you and everyone else for the toys. Although he is the most spoiled cat I know when it comes to treats/toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    Part of me has always wished that hiring at the state park and Obs was done this way: Once the applicants are winnowed down to three or four promising candidates, those three or four people are invited to sit in the Obs living room and wait. Whoever's lap Marty sits in first gets the job.
    Alpine-if we did this method of waiting for Marty to sit in a lap, I think the canidates would eventually decide it isn't worth it and leave as the cat is not even remotely a lap cat. I have seen him briefly try a lap or two but moves on in less than a minute and even then, it was only Brian and no one else.
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Knapper View Post
    The only thing we can't get him into are these bowls with a ball in them. I like to play with them by spinnin the ball in them really fast but the cat will have nothing to do with them once I put it down with the ball still spinning. We have two different types and nothing. But like I said, all other toys, especially when string is attached is the cats meow. So thanks to you and everyone else for the toys. Although he is the most spoiled cat I know when it comes to treats/toys.

Alpine-if we did this method of waiting for Marty to sit in a lap, I think the canidates would eventually decide it isn't worth it and leave as the cat is not even remotely a lap cat. I have seen him briefly try a lap or two but moves on in less than a minute and even then, it was only Brian and no one else.
    Both of our animals are spoiled with toys and treats LOL. Our cat won't play with the plastic thing with the balls in it either. We can't keep kitty toys anyway, the dog eats them. when I did buy them for her she would play like less than a minute and walk away. She is a hoodini with a snap on collar too lol. I put it on, I go back later and she has it unsnapped and on the floor lol. The dog however has babies, ropes, and balls galore and he plays with them all!! We are fitting him for a saddle when he is fully grown. That way we can sell pony rides LOL. OH YES!! Darwin, the cat here, isn't a lap cat either. She will lay beside Joe until the dog comes around, but I am the only one who can hold her and carry her around lol. Then that is only for 2 minutes before she gets antsy. Marty does sound like a lover though.
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Give me the outdoors, and I will show you the world!!

Thanks

Ed O'Malley contributed several additional Marty pictures he took when up for STP 2008. They have been added to http://public.fotki.com/MWO/favorites/summit-cats/
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Default Posted photos

Thanks for the photos in this link! It was a joy to see the mountain animals. You should ask LL Bean to make snow boots for Marty.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Knapper View Post
    if we did this method of waiting for Marty to sit in a lap, I think the canidates would eventually decide it isn't worth it and leave as the cat is not even remotely a lap cat. I have seen him briefly try a lap or two but moves on in less than a minute and even then, it was only Brian and no one else.
    I heard someone describe Marty as "less affectionate than Nin," but hadn't realized it was to that extent. Still, I guess that proves that Brian was a good hire. Nin the lap cat would make the decision very quickly. In fact, he'd probably go to whoever was wearing EMS or LL Bean windpants. If Nin had a choice between jeans and windpants, he'd go for the windpants (as long as they hadn't just come in from the cold) every time.

This method wouldn't have worked with Jasper, either. Poor Jasper would go hide in one of the bunkrooms until all the strange people looking for jobs went away.

Jasper and Nin overlapped briefly. Nin had the place to himself when he first arrived, because Jasper was sick and down in the valley at the time. But a few weeks or months later Jasper came back. At first, Nin was terrified of this big orange intruder. For the first week, Nin refused to go downstairs where Jasper was lurking. We had to bring a food bowl up to the weather room. But they got used to each other after a while. Sadly, it didn't last long. Jasper was diabetic, and went back to live in the valley after a few more months on the summit. I wonder if there's a picture of Jasper and Nin together anywhere. That would be a very rare photo.

Thanks

Marty is so gorgeous!

Sorry if this was mentioned in thread, but does he have a Cat Dancer? Its the best cat toy....its a piece of wire with cardboard on it.....my kitties go crazy for it