Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Hike to Mount Flume!

Thanks

Default Our Hike to Mount Flume!

On October 20th our third hike of our Fall New Hampshire vacation started at 8 am after having breakfast at the Sunny Day Diner in Lincoln. We estimated the temperature at 18°.

The Lincoln Woods trail, which is the bed of an old logging railroad is flat all the way to the Osseo Trail.

Once on the Osseo trail we started to gradually gain elevation and once again we saw more of the fungi everyone has been talking about this past season.

At 10:58 am we reached the “Down Look” with views towards the Northeast and East into the Pemigewasset Wilderness.

After the “Down Look” we started to hit the rock stairs, log steps

and wooden stairs.

We reached the junction with Flume Slide trail and Franconia Ridge Trail at 11:50 am.

We began the final ledged climb to the summit.

Reaching the summit of Mt. Flume at noon.

Views towards the Franconia Ridge were spectacular!
    Here’s Mt. Lincoln and Lafayette.

Off to the right stands Mount Garfield with Goback Mountain to the left (in the distance).

To the Northeast and East we once again see the Bond Range.

With clear skies and temperatures we estimated to be in the 50’s we had a leisurely 90 minute stay at the summit. We saw only 3 other people on the summit.

Heading back there were numerous opportunities for spectacular photos.

Reaching the wooden stairs it wasn’t as difficult as it looked. You only had to be aware of the fact that the steps could be slippery from walking on the damp gravely trail.

As we reached the lower forest I saw these interesting “potato chip” fungi.

Once again the Lincoln Woods trail seemed to go on and on.

But we finally reached the trail head at 4:15 pm; 11.2 miles in 8 hours; 3150 elevation gain.

Our reward: another dinner at the Woodstock Station (our favorite).
    This would be our last hike on the “Franconia Notch” side and now it’s off to Jackson, New Hampshire!

Thanks

Looks like an awesome hike on a beautiful fall day. We haven't done Flume yet but your TR has me putting it on our list. Ending a day of hiking at the Station couldn't be better - it's our favorite as well. Thanks for sharing the trip.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Great TR, but again with Photobucket interference. Wonder what their deal is?

Thanks

Started to look like a great hike but towards the end it sounded like a great hike. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

Question Where's the Pics?

Quote Originally Posted by TrishandAlex View Post
    Great TR, but again with Photobucket interference. Wonder what their deal is?
    We are trying to figure out what happened too! What a surprise to find out this morning that the pics have vanished. But on my computer now, the pictures for Mountain Pond and Carters reports are showing up.????? Hopefully, we'll be able to get the pics back on soon.
    Donna

Thanks

Wow!! You guys are just knocking them down one after another!

Great TR and it looks like you had a picture-perfect day!!

Valerie

Thanks

All pictures are up except for the very last one -- and those pictures are gorgeous!! Wow, you had an awesome day with fantastic views!!!!! Thanks for sharing your photos!

Thanks

Default Great TR and pics!

Another great job! Speaking of great jobs, I would just like to note here that fellow forum member Fishercat and his brother in law Forester Jake maintain the Osseo Trail and do a great job!

KDT

Thanks

Yes! It's great to read about someone's hike to Flume via Osseo and not the typical Liberty Springs loop. You had great pics and looks like a wonderful time. I hope there weren't too many blowdowns as we cleared them out on the last trip.
    If anybody hikes this trail in the near future, keep your eyes peeled for a big beech tree on the left side of the trail. It comes at the top of a little rise just after you hike up the section where the brook is at the bottom on your left, the drop to the brook is real obvious. Anywho, when you see the beech look up and notice the massive bear clawmarks ascending the tree. You will noyic the spread is bigger than your hands. Its real cool and a classic "bear-beech."
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

Thanks

Thanks for the great TR, and the pics were beautiful!! I hope I am able to do that by next year!!
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Give me the outdoors, and I will show you the world!!