Thread: Short Hike to Mountain Pond

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Short Hike to Mountain Pond

On October 22 we took a short, wet hike to Mountain Pond which is located off of Slippery Brook road.
    The day was cool and damp with temperatures in the 40’s.

We started the hike at 10:45 and reached the junction of the loop trail at 11 am.

We initially tried to go counterclockwise around the loop but the marshy area did not have sufficient bog bridges for travel. So we turned back and started the loop clockwise hoping the footing was dryer.
    We reached a viewpoint at a spur path which bordered on the pond.

Continuing to the shelter we had to be careful of the footing since stepping on the spongy ground would have soaked our boots and stepping on the moss covered rock could turn an ankle or cause a fall.
    We reached the shelter at 12 noon where we had snack.

Here’s an interesting pictures of some nails and shell casings imbedded in one of the log of the shelter.

Walking back we noticed lots of fungi; this one particularly interesting.

There was still some color in the leaves.

After having enough of the sloppy trail and reaching our van at 1pm we drove over to Pinkham Notch to check out our next hike to a couple of the Carters.
    We encountered our first snowman and saw firsthand the conditions we would have on our next hike.

Next hike: North and Middle Carters.

Thanks

I envy you guys. I would love to spend a week up north hiking every day but I am out of vacation time till next year. I would like to thank both of you for taking the time to share with us your reports and pictures it almost makes me feel like I am there.

Thanks

I love mountain pond...so accessable, so remote. Nice report!
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS View Post
    I envy you guys. I would love to spend a week up north hiking every day but I am out of vacation time till next year. I would like to thank both of you for taking the time to share with us your reports and pictures it almost makes me feel like I am there.
    Chris,
    Thanks for your kind words. We feel the same way too that by reading the reports it allows us to share in other forum members experiences in the Whites. Glad we could share.
    Donna