Thread: Feb Hike up Mt Washington

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Feb Hike up Mt Washington

I finally bit the bullet and signed up for an EMS trip. I signed up for a private guide when they told me the whole group needs to turn around if one person in a group cant make it. Im a little afraid that person would be me so I went with the one on one guide.

Im really wondering about the grade etc of the climb, and how to get in the best shape. Are there any exercises at the gym someone can recommend that go well with climbing?

Right now im 6'2 240 and get winded quickly on harder hikes. I do seem to get a second wind after an hour. But I really want to be able to avoid turning around if possible. I expect I will be about 220 210 by the time the hike comes around. I can lose it quickly with diet and exercise, and I currently can run 3-4 miles, but hiking is different game and I do get winded quickly so any advice will be great.

Also im in Ct so if anyone knows of any trails that are good to get some training on I would appreciate it. I live near Sleeping Giant and do the blue head trail a couple of times a week but would like something I can go UP on for longer then 30-40 minutes.

Thanks all.

Thanks

Default excercise for climbing

Good luck on your climb - sounds like you have the right outlook.

There's nothing that gets you in better shape for climbing than actually climbing with a pack. Here in Connecticut look into trails in the Northwest hills. Bear Mountain is the closest thing we have to a long steady climb. Get out on the weekends and hike it with a loaded pack - 40lbs or so should do it.

Beyond climbing, the following exercise is part of my pre climb training regimen. I've used it to train for Washington, McKinley and Rainier and it hasn't failed me yet. Running, cycling, stair climbing, stepmill workouts, jumping rope and a good full body weight lifting routine twice a week to strengthen both your upper and lower body. Use minimal rest between sets and keep your heart rate elevated and that will help build endurance. Review your diet and eat as healthy as possible and drop as much body fat as you can. Excess body fat will sap your strength while climbing.

Regarding the route - it breaks down into 3 distinctly different sections. The first third is just a gradual uphill slog through the woods from pinkham notch to the base of the winter Lion Head route. You'll gain about 1500 vertical feet over about 2 miles - it's steady uphill but nothing even remotely steep in this section. At the end of this section you'll likely put on your crampons as the route here steepens considerably. You'll climb about another 1500 ft in less than a mile in this section reaching Lion Head itself. This is the steepest, most technical section - some small strecthes are probably 40-50 degrees or so, but you are generally in the short trees still and exposure is minimal. The section from treeline to Lion Head will give you your first taste of the wind. After a quick rest at Lion Head rocks, You've got another 1200 vertical feet or so over about a mile and a half. The section from Lion Head to the base of the summit cone is relatively flat, but completely exposed to the wind. In windy conditions, this is where many groups turn around. Assuming a typical wind from the west, you become somewhat shielded from the wind once you start ascending the cone. The cone is only moderately steep - perhaps between 20 and 40 degrees until the grade relents just below the lower parking lot.

Lastly, keep the weight of your pack to a minimum - bring everything they tell you and nothing else. Train hard - get fit and lean - and the remaining challenge is staying in the climb mentally - in fact the mental aspect is every bit as important as the physical.
    Good Luck.
    Tim
    Last edited by climbabout; 11-12-2008 at 01:17 PM.

Thanks

Thanks a ton,
    I was actually heading to Bear Mt this weekend, Will load the pack this time.

Thanks for the tips on the training, its seems everything these days says to focus on little to no time between sets/exercises.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncas View Post
    Thanks for the tips on the training, its seems everything these days says to focus on little to no time between sets/exercises.
    Uncas - this isn't a new concept - alpine mountaineering requires a unique combination of strength and muscular and cardiovascular endurance. Too musclebound and you carry too much body weight - concentrate too much on just running and you lose muscular endurance. You need to find a balance between the 2.
    Tim

Thanks

Two words: crossfit.com and crossfitendurance.com

And another few words: more protein, more fat and way less carbs.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default crossfit

Interesting sites Bill. Do you follow the regimen? I had not heard of it before, but at brief glance, there's a lot of common sense there. How did you find it?
    Tim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
    Two words: crossfit.com and crossfitendurance.com

And another few words: more protein, more fat and way less carbs.
    Thanks bill, I do use crossfit workouts, im also following turulence training now. 6 meals a day- high fat, protien lower carb diet from BFFM.