Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member to the forum

Thanks

Question New member to the forum

Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce myself as a new member to the forum. I reside in southeast Tennessee and would like to plan a Mt. Washington trip soon. I just finished Not Without Peril, quite a few amazing stories.

I would like to try and make a trip in late spring of 09. Couple of questions I need answers to before I start planning my trip. Which would be the best airport to fly into? What are my transportation options from the airport to the mtn? And are there campground accommodations for me at the base of the mountain?

Many thanks.

Thanks

Mid may is one of my favorite times of year to hit the trails up mount washington. Earlier, you still have snow instabilities, later you have bugs. Flowers are out, temperatures are moderate (by MWO standards) and weather stabilizes from it's winter pattern.

If you can rent a car, I would fly into portland. If you need mass transit, fly into boston.

There is a bus that goes from boston to the base of the mountain twice a day...and an amc shuttle that goes around the trailheads in the whites.

Most campgrounds are not open yet in mid may, but there are a few. Pinkham notch amc visitor center is a great location at the trailheads, a bit more $ than camping, but you get two meals with your stay. Check out outdoors.org for that.

There are also shelters a bit of a hike into the woods that are available in may, such as hermit lake at the base of tuckerman ravine, halfway up your Mt. Washington hike.

Start with researching these locations, and ask anymore questions you have here...it's a great community...
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

Default Welcome

1.)Your best bet is to fly into Manchester, Pease, or Portland. If you can't Logan in Boston will do, but will add 40-50 miles to the trip to MW.

2.) Best thing would be to rent a car. You'll need transportation around the area once you get here.

3.) You can backpack into Hermit Lake Shelters from Pinkham Notch or there is Dolly Copp CG a few miles north on Rte.16. You'll be several miles from town.

There is also the AMC Pinkham Notch Visitor Center in Pinkham Notch which provides rooms and meals, but is IMOP expensive. There is also the Highland Center in Crawford Notch which is a similar set-up. For either of these you need to book now.

KDT

Thanks

Thanks for the great info! Looks like there are flights from Chattanooga to Manchester with a change in Charlotte that aren't too expensive. Prices for rental cars seem very reasonable. I'm really getting excited about planning this trip!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jekylczar View Post
    Thanks for the great info! Looks like there are flights from Chattanooga to Manchester with a change in Charlotte that aren't too expensive. Prices for rental cars seem very reasonable. I'm really getting excited about planning this trip!
    Yes, rental cars are almost always curiously inexpensive. Don't ask why, just take it.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot View Post
    1.)Your best bet is to fly into Manchester, Pease, or Portland. If you can't Logan in Boston will do, but will add 40-50 miles to the trip to MW.

KDT

Don't forget if you can use them, Southwest Airlines flies into Manchester.Usually a good deal pricewise.
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

Thanks

There used to be good options going into Pease - but now SW airlines into Manchester is normally the best deal.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

I could be wrong, but there is no longer any commercial airlines into Pease airport. So the closest that fly here are MHT, PVD, BOS, BTV, or PWM. Southwest was mentioned, they are usually cheapest to MHT or PVD but you might want to try Jetblue as well. I have used them flying home out west a few times since they have been cheaper than SWA at times. Also, keep in mind that when using travelocity, expedia, etc., SWA and Jetblue do not come up on them. And if you find a good deal on either one of those travel sites whether it is a cheap flight or car, try the companies main site as well as they are sometime cheap once you take away the convenience fees other sites charge. A good place to search for cars, flights, hotels, etc is kayak.com; it is the google of travel searches. I am not trying to advertise, this is what I used to tell all up coming volunteers when I was volunteer coordinator.
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)

Thanks

And JetBlue has been a nice sponsor for MWO for some of the STP awards.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012