Thread: Backpacking T-Giving weekend...thoughts?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Backpacking T-Giving weekend...thoughts?

Hi everyone...I've caught the White Mts bug and am really excited we are actually planning a 3rd trip this year. I figured we can walk off our turkey!

I'm writing to hear your suggestions since you've given us such great advice the past 2 trips.

Our 2 must-haves are that we'd like to do a 1-nighter, and we'd like to summit at least 1 4K footer. We've been scoping out a few routes and right now we're considering East Osceola and Mt Osceola via Greeley Ponds Tr or Mt Tom and Mt Field via Avalon Tr.

We'll head up Friday morning and complete part of the hike on Friday, summit on Saturday and either head out or put in another night. We will keep our full packs at the site while we slackpack to summit.

I would like to add that we are watching the weather and making sure we have all the right cold-weather gear to make sure we're safe. We will call the trip last minute if we have to.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
    Lisa

Thanks

Default Backpacker

We recently camped on the summit of Osceola. There's a great site where the old firetower was, about 50 yds south of the cliff/viewpoint. Don't know if you're interested in carrying the packs up there, though. The hike from Greeley Ponds Trail is very steep and will be icy now. There really isn't a spot on East Osceola. The chimney between summits would be difficult to navigate with full packs. If Tripoli Road is still open a much easier ascent can be had from there. As of right now, it's still open but could change soon. Check here:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/whit...ads_status.php

There are several good sites near Greeley Ponds, but not sure of their legality.

The summit of Mount Tom offers some good sites, too. Only the very summit of Field offers anything and would not be legal, though you may find some legal site between Tom and Field. Below the summits you would be in Crawford Notch State Park and I don't think you can legally camp in the park except at Dry River. Just tryin' to save you being moved and possibly fined by a ranger. You will be camping on a snowpack in Crawford, not sure about the Osceolas, depends on whether it's rain or snow there tonight.

KDT

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply!
    Do you know of any other hikes similar to the 2 itineraries mentioned where we can find a decent spot to camp beneath the summit?

Thanks

Default You might consider...

Carrigain. Again, if Sawyer River Road closes it will add an (easy) 2 mile road walk, but check the link I sent. As of right now it's still open but could change tonight. There are plenty of spots to camp before you really start the climb shortly after the jct. with Carrigain Notch Trail.

One tip if you go. Cross the bridge on Sawyer River Road and bushwhack up the west bank until you hit the trail. This will save the difficult first river crossing. If we get as much precipitation as predicted the streams will still be swollen this weekend.

KDT

Thanks

We are going to consider Carrigain. The road is still open at this point. We have not been up there late season. I imagine we'll need 4x4 on the road?

Anyone know how much snow is on the trails after the last few days? Looks like they got quite a bit.