Thread: Very Belated Trip Report! Hancocks 10/18-19

Thanks

Default Very Belated Trip Report! Hancocks 10/18-19

Date: October 18-19
    Weather: Cold and Sunny (high 30s during the day, high 20s during the night)

Our trip started on Friday night after we rocked out to the Black Crowes concert in Boston and set up camp at Hancock Campground on the Kancamagus Highway. We got there at 1:30am, hitched up the Eureka, tossed in the rollpads and cold-weather bags and crashed out.

We woke up to a very cold and frosty Saturday morning. Good thing Jeff had the excellent idea to store some McDonald's coffees in the pump-pot so we'd have hot drinks while we packed up.

We met Jimmy Legs and Little D (hi again - great TR!!!) while gearing up at the trailhead, we poured our last cup of hot coffee for the morning and got started on the Hancock Notch trail at about 8:30am. The first 2.5 miles of the trip were relatively flat. There were a few stream crossings, but the water was low and the muddy parts were frozen so our boots stayed pretty clean.

When we got to the Hancock Loop Trail, we set up camp and switched to day packs. The site was great, Jeff put up the new tent and I collected some wood. It looked very cozy when we left and I was looking forward to relaxing by the fire later.

We started up the Hancock Loop Trail (more like Hancock Lollipop Trail) around noon and chose to summit the North Hancock first. This .7 miles was fairly steep, and the top of the trail became very loose. I called for the sherpas but they never came. The top offered us a perfect lunch spot, complete with big boulders and great views. I wish I had known at the time that we were looking right at the 5 peaks we had done a month earlier. Pretty awesome!

After feeding ourselves and the resident birds, we traversed between the peaks to the summit of the South Hancock. This part of the trail was easy, very muddy in parts, and very cold. The wind was bitter on the south facing side of the trail. The summit of South Hancock was unspectacular so we just took a picture and hiked back to camp. The descent of this peak was also very steep and loose in parts, but we made it to our base around 4:30.

Here we enjoyed a very warm fire, some Grey Goose orange, Beef Stroganoff and Chicken and Rice. It was a really fun time and we called it around 7:38pm.

We woke up to yet another cold morning - ice on the tent poles and VERY cold boots!! 30 degrees!

Jeff made us some piping hot coffee while we packed up the site, and then another cup of piping hot hot chocolate with marshmallows. It really hit the spot and got us ready for our simple trek back to the car. The 2.5 mile walk back took us an easy 1:10 and we were on the road at 9:45am.

Again, it was another awesome trip. I'm really happy that my interest has re-awakened Jeff's love of backpacking and the outdoors. He's already started planning our next one and we're looking forward to getting back up to the Whites very soon!!

Pics are on our site at:
    http://www.jeffandlisacc.com/gallery...2_itemId=14137

Thanks

Default Looks great!

Nice Tr and pics. One thing, feedin' the Gray Jays is a controversial subject and I won't get into it, but please try to stick to nuts and raisins as chocolate is toxic to most wild creatures. I'm not passin' judgement, I've fed a few myself, just tryin' to share some knowledge. Looks like you had a great time.

KDT

Thanks

Thanks KDT, I really had no idea, it was the first time we ever saw Grey Jays. To be quite honest, there was already a group at the summit feeding them, and they gave us the trail mix to feed them ourselves. I was never good at sharing so I kept mine to myself! I don't think they like M&Ms since they ate around them.

I will keep this in mind next time I meet those pesky birds!

Thanks

Default Yeah...

pretty much everyone feeds them, but feeding wild animals will always be controversial. These guys tend to hang around campsites and become real nuisances. Known as flying rats to most caretakers. I was going by the picture of you and a handful of M+M's. I'm glad they're smart enough to eat around them!

KDT

Thanks

Thumbs up Belated Hancocks Hike

Lisa,
    Again, it was nice to meet you and Jeff. It was a perfect day for hiking.
    Gray jays are cool; we've run into them many times on the trails. I'm going to try that sherpa trick someday.......
    little d

Thanks

Nice TR! I'm jealous about the grey jays. We have yet to see them!

The Hancocks are great, aren't they! Glad you had a nice trip.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lisa_j View Post
    Date: October 18-19
    Weather: Cold and Sunny (high 30s during the day, high 20s during the night)

Here we enjoyed a very warm fire, some Grey Goose orange, Beef Stroganoff and Chicken and Rice. It was a really fun time and we called it around 7:38pm.
    Great TR and pictures, thanks for sharing. You guys are troopers to party in Beantown then head to the Kanc to camp and hike. Youth will be served.

I saw the Crowes in Vegas in early September, let's just say a good time was had by all.

It is 60 degrees in LA right now, and it is raw and damp with rain imminent. I think I'll have a Grey Goose Martini and some Beef Stroganoff tonight.

Cheers.
    Laudizen

Myths can't be translated as they did in their ancient soil. We can only find our own meaning in our own time. -Margaret Atwood, writer (1939-)

http://laudizen.com/