Thread: Mt. Adams thanksgiving weekend.

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Mt. Adams thanksgiving weekend.

Hi, new here from NYC. I've been doing winter hiking up in the catskills region and would like something higher. My gf and I've made it up a 2.6 mile ascent with 2500ft in about 3 hrs. So we figure mt adams, is roughly double that in distance and elevation, doable in a single day provided we get an early start.

Thinking of going up Adams via airline this weekend (11/28-29). Anyone know the conditions above and below the tree line?

Would stabilicers be fine or would I need full crampons? Also, I heard it was supposed to warm up this weekend so am I expecting temps ~10F or would it still be subzero?

Thanks.

Thanks

To be honest, the Catskills are a tough comparison to anything in the Presidentials. I'm not sure about the exact weather conditions this weekend, but it looks like a winter-like pattern will continue. Crampons and ice axe would be mandatory even for Adams. With a potential for significant snow over the next few days you may even need some sort of flotation below tree line.

It may not count as a winter ascent, but its full winter conditions in the White Mountains right now with the added challenge of minimal snow cover.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default Bill is right on

All trails up Adams have a greater elevation gain than any on Washington. All have considerable exposure time above treeline. Much, much different than the Catskills. November in the Northern Presidentials will be like January in the Catskills, unless you luck into unusual temps.

Bill will probably disagree with me, but not knowing your skill/experience I always try to point folks toward easier above treeline climbs for people to cut their teeth. You might consider Mounts Pierce or Jackson or Pierce/Eisenhower or a loop of both in the Southern Presis. They offer good above treeline exposure with a quick retreat back to the woods in extreme conditions. Just my opinion.

KDT

Thanks

I agree. Southern Presis are a good reccomendation. You probably don't need crampons or axe there.

Have you ever used an ice axe?
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I have on my trip to Rainier but my partner hasn't. It would look like what with winter coming and all we're shelving plans for Adams until spring.