Thread: Eagle Cliff from Echo Lake

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Eagle Cliff from Echo Lake

Has anyone gone up to Eagle Cliff along the ridge from the northwest, starting near Echo Lake? What was it like? Just curious. I've done it from the Greenleaf Trail but not from the other direction. Looks like there could be nice views down into the notch.

Thanks

It's the extreme northern end of the Greenleaf trail from Echo lake (tram parking). We went up there in July. Eagle cliff area is very cool...literally, still snow and ice in some of the small caves/holes. There was a recent, rather large rock slide, like hours before we were there so that kinda turned the nerves on! Views are limited over to Cannon and into the notch until you reach the cliffs. My son just wrote a report for school on this hike. He loved the hike and when we reached the bottom of the cliffs, everything was covered in moss. He declared that area his and named it, Mossabithia! Very cool!
    Last edited by Rich; 11-26-2008 at 09:03 AM.
    ~Rich

Thanks

Thanks! I loved your description. Actually, I was asking something slightly different and I didn't explain it very well. I was talking about what looks like should be a short, easy bushwhack (famous last words) that would start on the east side of Rt.93 just opposite where Rt. 18 comes in, across the road from Echo Lake. You would follow along the top of the ridge that ends at Eagle Cliff. Then you would have the option of either retracing your steps or dropping down off the back side of Eagle Crag (not on the cliffy side!) and connecting with the Greenleaf trail. On the USGS quad it looks like you would be out in the open quite a bit along the ridge and go over a few ups and downs, with probably spectacular views. You would start at 1900 feet and end up at 3400. I've often wondered if there is an old herd path up there.

If I do go up there, I'll take pictures and let you all know how it goes!