Thread: History Of the Summmit of Mt Washington

Thanks

Default History Of the Summmit of Mt Washington

I come from a family of Irish descent, who operated a hotel called the Summit House atop Mt Washington from the later part of the 19th century through it's demise by fire in 1908. The Barron family owned five grand hotels in and around the town of Carroll (Bretton Woods) N.H. including the Crawford House, Fabyan House, Twin Mountain House, and the Mt Pleasant House. Two brothers from Hartford Vermont Asa T and Oscar F. Barron, purchased a tract of land at Twin Mtn, and built the famed Twin Mtn House in 1868. Soon they aquired the Summit House on Mt Washington through lease about 1880.Col J.W. Dodge, and his wife after him had operated the place for about a decade. Asa and Oscar Barron made names for themselves nation wide, and Asa's sons Oscar G., William A., and Hal B. Barron would continue their father and uncles work for nearly a century, becoming as much a part of the White Mountains, as the Mountains were a part of them. All but a few of the grand hotels are gone now, and none of the Barron hotels survive, but the stories of these grand dames should never be forgotten. Anyone who has or would like info on this subject please contact me at capebretton@hotmail.com.

Regards,
    J.P.B.

Thanks

Default I have read...

of them some while studying the history of the Whites. Fascinating stuff! I bet folks here would love to see any photos you might have!

KDT

Thanks

Default History of The Summit of Mt Washington

Hi,
    I have sent some photos and photo copies of documents in my collection to the Observatory, and will scan some to post here as well. I imagine what I give to the MWO would be displayed at their library in No. Conway. Thanks for the reply, and have a good one.

J.P.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asabarron View Post
    Hi,
    I have sent some photos and photo copies of documents in my collection to the Observatory, and will scan some to post here as well. I imagine what I give to the MWO would be displayed at their library in No. Conway. Thanks for the reply, and have a good one.

J.P.
    some of us live too far away to get to the library to see your pictures. If you have the opportunity, please post some pictures on the forums. I would love to see them.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???