Thread: Hedgehog Mountain 11/29/08

Thanks

Default Hedgehog Mountain 11/29/08

Warm Sun

11/29/08
    Hedgehog Mountain (Albany) 2532'
    4.8 Miles 1450' Elevation gain
    Kevin, Judy and Emma

There are so many gems in the White Mountains under 4000' and this is one we said we'd like to return to in the snow. Just wanting to get out and be in the woods. Not looking to go over 4000' in the snow unless it's going to count as a winter hike, which it won't for three more weeks, so we found ourselves back here. This is a great loop hike that offers excellent and intimate views to Bear, Table and Big Attitash Mountains, The Moats, The Sisters and Mount Chocorua, Mount Paugus and looming larger than life, Mount Passaconaway. A real feel for Passaconaway's massive size can be felt from the ledges on tiny Hedgehog.

We did the loop clockwise and as we started out in our snowshoes we found the going rather difficult as previous hikers had bare-booted through the wet snow which was a frozen mess when we traversed it. This made for difficult stepping in the shoes, but we did our best to flatten out the trail and get a good track down. Later, towards the end of the hike we met folks who had come the same way around as us and I mentioned the trail was a mess from bare-booters. Although they now had their snowshoes on they confessed to having bare-booted the east side, but I told them the frozen footprints had been made before they had come along.

Much of the first two miles is spent in the shadow of the hill, so was a little cool until we broke out onto the east ledges where the bright sun shone down and was quite warming. Moments like those spent in the warm sun standing in snow, high above the forests and surrounded by mountains while enjoying some lunch and the company of my wife and dog make the hard work and cold fingers all worthwhile. The feelings of peace, to be able to enjoy these things with no intrusions, are hard to share in words, but if you've experienced it, you know what I mean and I don't have to fumble through the words to try to explain it.

From these ledges we could look out across the Oliverian Brook Valley that separates this hill from Chocorua, Paugus and Passaconaway. Over the ridge and far to the south we could see the summit of Mount Shaw in the Ossipees where we had journeyed two weeks ago. Gazing to the southwest it is hard to get over just how huge Mount Passaconaway is. It's steep slopes seem insurmountable from this vantage and we realize that there is much untouched territory on this northeast face.

As we finished up lunch we made our way along the trail in a westerly direction that soon brought views of the Tripyramids and the higher ledges of the summit of Hedgehog. The trail winds along and descends down into a field of glacial erratics before beginning to climb again and wrapping itself around to the west side of the mountain. From here it's a nice little climb up to the summit ledges where more views of Passaconaway, the Tripyramids and the nearby Potash Mountain, sister of Hedgehog, also a great, less visited, destination.

Between us and the Tripyramids lies The Fool Killer, perhaps the best named mountain in the Whites. Over the right shoulder of The Fool Killer we can make out Mount Kancamagus and the Osceolas, their snow covered slopes shining brightly in the sun. From a point just west of the trail near the summit we can see into Carrigain Notch. Massive Mount Carrigain rises above the Sawyer River Valley with the Hancocks and The Captain flanking to the west and Vose Spur and Carrigain Notch flanking to the east. Rising from the notch is Mount Lowell, Mount Nancy and Mount Bemis. Impressive Green's Cliff lies before them on an otherwise unnamed hill. Further to the east, almost directly north of where we stand lies Mount Tremont and Owl's Cliff. Very impressive. Major views from this minor mountain.

Pics here:

http://ghostflowers.smugmug.com/gall...28540515_K4FQ8

KDT

Thanks

Great pictures and wonderful trip report. Looks like you had a beautiful day.
    Thanks for sharing.I just ordered my Microspikes and snow shoes last night can't wait to get out there.

Thanks

Wow...you forget how much snow there can be just a bit north. Looks like a great little mountain. Another one for the list. Thanks for sharing the views!

We need a little of that white stuff down here!
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

Great TR Kevin, but there's a problem. If you keep pointing out these great smaller mountains that we need to try how am I ever going to get to the rest of the 4000 footers . So many mountains, so little time.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Thumbs up Hedgehog

Kevin,
    We'll have to move Hedgehog up on our hiking list after seeing your trip report and pictures. Looks like a winner.

Thanks

Great pics and TR Kevin!! Looks like Emma had a lot of fun too!!

Quote Originally Posted by JimS View Post
    Wow...you forget how much snow there can be just a bit north. Looks like a great little mountain. Another one for the list. Thanks for sharing the views!

We need a little of that white stuff down here!
    We will be more than happy to send you some!! LOL We have had 2 coatings so far, and it is trying to do it again today We have about 3 inches so far, and it is almost solid ice now.
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Give me the outdoors, and I will show you the world!!

Thanks

Default Poor Hedgehog

Poor Hedgehog only gets attention during shoulder seasons -

Kevin, thanks for the beautiful pictures and trip report!

Tim and I really enjoy this trip and have done it twice... once was mid-Nov and the other time was the first weekend after spring started (both times when no winter checkmarks were to be had).

One of those times, we only made it counter-clockwise to the East Ledges. The only "hiker" who had made the loop was a postholing moose.

It is a great mountain with beautiful views!

Valerie

Thanks

Default enjoyed your report and gallery

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot View Post
    Moments like those spent in the warm sun standing in snow, high above the forests and surrounded by mountains while enjoying some lunch and the company of my wife and dog make the hard work and cold fingers all worthwhile. The feelings of peace, to be able to enjoy these things with no intrusions, are hard to share in words, but if you've experienced it, you know what I mean and I don't have to fumble through the words to try to explain it. KDT
    Beautiful sentiment, and well said. I also enjoyed "Walk Towards the Light". Thanks for sharing them both.
    Laudizen

Myths can't be translated as they did in their ancient soil. We can only find our own meaning in our own time. -Margaret Atwood, writer (1939-)

http://laudizen.com/