Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boston Globe article about 576 summit club.

Thanks

Exclamation Boston Globe article about 576 summit club.

Wow, 48 summits every month?

My legs ache just thinking about that.
    Mark
    Randomography
    MJ Pics

Thanks

Default Grid

Last edited by KD Talbot; 12-06-2008 at 02:39 PM.

Thanks

Red face

Ugh, I can't believe I messed that up. Typed in the text instead of the URL. D'oh!!

Thanks for covering for me, KD.
    Mark
    Randomography
    MJ Pics

Thanks

Great article. It gives me something to look forward to when I retire.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

I'm doing the grid! Of course, it will take me many, many years to finish, since I've only done two of the mountains twice at this point.

Thanks

Default Well...

I've been at it for 10 years, but I never really thought about the grid. I'm well into my 4th round of the 4ks, though I haven't officially finished my 3rd. Have to go back to Owl's Head for that and I'm waiting for calendar winter to do that one. Now, I may have close to 4 rounds, but I've hiked the same mountain in the same month a lot of times, so it doesn't help me towards the grid.

I swore off lists a while back, then got caught up in the winter 4k list.

Finishing a list sets you free. Free to hike for the pure enjoyment of being out there and absorbing the nature. I go to the mountains because it cleanses me. A purification, if you will. The mountains are my church, hiking is my religion.

Hiking simply to complete a list takes the fun out of it for me. I was stuck on the 4k list for a couple of years, then when I finished it I got to visit a lot of other smaller mountains I would not have considered climbing before. Then I realized I loved just being out there, that lists and numbers took away from the experience. In retrospect I wish I had never known there was a list to complete.

KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot View Post
    I've been at it for 10 years, but I never really thought about the grid. I'm well into my 4th round of the 4ks, though I haven't officially finished my 3rd. Have to go back to Owl's Head for that and I'm waiting for calendar winter to do that one. Now, I may have close to 4 rounds, but I've hiked the same mountain in the same month a lot of times, so it doesn't help me towards the grid.

I swore off lists a while back, then got caught up in the winter 4k list.

Finishing a list sets you free. Free to hike for the pure enjoyment of being out there and absorbing the nature. I go to the mountains because it cleanses me. A purification, if you will. The mountains are my church, hiking is my religion.

Hiking simply to complete a list takes the fun out of it for me. I was stuck on the 4k list for a couple of years, then when I finished it I got to visit a lot of other smaller mountains I would not have considered climbing before. Then I realized I loved just being out there, that lists and numbers took away from the experience. In retrospect I wish I had never known there was a list to complete.

KDT
    Sounds like words of wisdom. When we got hooked on hiking a few years ago I immediately started thinking about the lists. For me there always has to be a goal. When we did our first trip in the Presidentials two summers ago I was initially really excited about how many 4Ks we were going to be able to knock off in a week. When we got up there my entire attitude changed. The day we were going from Madison to Lakes we skipped several of the summits (including Washington - which would have been my first time on top) because it was such an awesome day and the summits didn't seem important in and of themselves. I've never regretted the decision. I hope I'll finish all 48 some day and go back to the top of many including Washington many more times - but not because of the list, because they are such incredible places to be. I've enjoyed everything about every mountian that I've been lucky enough to be on since that day - no matter what the height. Can't wait for the next one...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

I understand what you guys are saying, but I enjoy lists because it gives me the extra motivation to get out there and see everything. I feel I'd enjoy doing the 4Ks over and over because I would fully appreciate the change of the seasons on the same trails. Doing other lists will probably bring me to mountains I woudn't think about otherwise. In addition, I enjoy the "game" aspect, and the distance and elevation are getting my body into shape.

That being said, I will also enjoy smaller hikes, with Alex (and hopefully Sage), where we don't go that far and can therefore take forever looking at everything we want to see. We'll probably do a lot of that kind of thing this winter, when harsh conditions will often keep us at a lower elevation.

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot View Post
    Sorry, I guess I sound like I'm knocking lists, and I really don't mean too. After all, the 4k list is what got me started. I just don't want to be tied to a list if I can help it, but that's just me. Everyone should hike their own hike.

Here's some more:

Well, I think I covered New England and New York, at least.

KDT
    And is there a name for the "list of lists" that you just presented Kevin? The "Everything That's Climbable in the Northeast" list perhaps? Is it possible to do this list in a kilt (or - <gasp> - even less)?
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page