Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boston Globe article about 576 summit club.

Thanks

KDT, no need to apologize -- I can see the silly side of "the grid," definitely. The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it seems....however, I still want to do it, I still think the idea is fun. And I can laugh at myself as I say I want to do it, because I know I have an OCD type personality and probably most who want to do the grid ALSO have some kind of OCD personality....

Thanks

It is funny, but lists just never seemed to be important to me. Here in Colorado, I have climbed a few peaks with a friend that has got the "centennial list", top 100, completed as well as almost all of the the top two hundred. Me, I only tag along when he is doing a high 13'ner. I like those because they are right up there and do pose a challenge, but since they are not 14'ners, they don't have anywhere near the traffic on them. I guess I have put the 14'ners on a sort of "anti list". But then that is still a list of sorts.

Thanks

Aren't there over 1,200 13'ers in CO? Some of them still don't have names.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Oh yeah, and if I don't get them all, so what? The fun is just getting out there.

Thanks

You're right though, 13'ers in CO are virtually empty. In the minds of most people out there they might as well be 10 feet tall when compared to a 14'er.

On my list anything over 4,000m is considered high altitude....which includes 13'ers.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I finally got around to reading both the article and the 48x12.com website this weekend (yes, I'm a bit behind in my reading). While I had initially thought that the grid was an amazing (or insane depending on how you look at it) feat I had no idea how much crazier it could get.

The primary guy that the Globe article was about (Ed Hawkins) was the second person to complete the grid (there are only 8 official completions). He didn't do his first hike (of any kind) until he was 46 years old. Did his first 4K at 47 and this was the start of his first grid. He is now 62 and not only has he done the complete grid TWICE, he has completed almost 3100 NE 4K peaks as of this November. My brain can't even process this. He has done all of the NH 4Ks every year for the last 12 years (and obviously a lot more as well) and he's done them all 50 times!!! Somehow he's also found time to do 43 US highpoints and 45 Colorado 14ers and God knows what else. You have to read his accomplishment list to believe it (or not): http://www.48x12.com/edhawkins.shtml

The rest of these guys are equally amazing. While I don't ever aspire to anything approaching this (or any list at all as discussed it the rest of this thread) I would sure like to have the time and dedication that these people have to spend in the mountains.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

"On April 1, 2007, Ed completed the New England 67 in every calendar month by summiting Hamlin Peak & Baxter. He was the first and currently only person to do this. He was accompanied by Dave Langley, Lars Janson, & Gloria Verrill."

I crossed paths with Mr. Hawkins and group on the last days of March in Baxter in both 2006 and 2007--- we were skiing out, and they were snowshoeing in.

An April summit of Baxter and Hamlin is an epic journey. Remeber,no overnight camping is allowed in Baxter after March 31. So, after awakening at Chimney Pond on April 1, they climb Baxter and Hamlin, descend to Chimney, get their overnight gear, then have about another 15 miles to go ( down to Roaring Brook and out the Tote Road to the cars at Abol bridge)---

Pete

Thanks

Default Colorado Thirteeners

Gerry Roach's book "Colorado's Thirteeners" lists 637 peaks in CO from 13,001 on up (through the 14ers and up to Mt. Elbert). But those are the ones that meet his requirement of having a 300+ foot rise from any col with a neighboring peak. There are a lot more with less of a rise. The book only goes into detail on route descriptions for peaks above 13,800. There's an awful lot of great mountainous terrain that does get largely overlooked. The Colorado Mountain Club books go into more detail for the lower peaks. Personally, I've barely scratched the surface with a couple of 13ers around Breckenridge.

Thanks

Another book by Roach

http://www.amazon.com/Colorados-Thir...0684187&sr=8-1

Lists 34 peaks from 138000 on up to 13999.

I have been trying to do these as an informal (anti)list of sorts. I like his style of guide book.

Thanks

Yes, Gerry Roach has a great style for a guidebook! I've read his books so many times that certain of his phrases stick in my brain, like "The introduction is over" and "Consider your future"---both phrases he uses to describe a point along a route when you are soon going to be facing much more difficult terrain, and you might want to think carefully about what you are about to embark on.