Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Observer/Observatory Christmas Wish List???

Thanks

What's the diameter of the Radome?

Thanks

That looks like about a 3 foot diameter 12GHz antenna. You don't want to "deice" that feedhorn (the "post" in the center of the soup pot) with a crowbar. Much smaller than the 9 foot 4GHz ones I worked with.

I don't imagine you keep sheets of Lexan or Kevlar tarps around so that fix is not an option. A big laundry bag, with draw string, pulled over the soup pot and then pull the bag top closed behind antenna might work. ... large tarp with gromets .... bivy sack .... you just need to keep the ice out of the big soup pot.
    Gene .. just one more Swamp Yankee from RI.

Thanks

The fun part will be putting on a harness, clipping in and jumping over the tower railing to do these repairs.

We had the skill-set and equipment to do that when I was there, but I don't know the situation now.

I think some sort of temporary canvas type cover can them through the storm. Once you get the thing wrapped the key is to let the ice build up and protect the cover.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

You would kind of need something like a round jacuzzi/spa or pool cover where the edges go over the lip and either have a heavy elastic or are strapped on.

Thanks

Default a quick fix

If you can find out the diameter have someone in the valley get a circle of plexiglass and cut the diameter and bolt on if you can get the bolts apart. If not go over to our friends at Wildthings and have them cut a circle out of their toughest material about 4 inches bigger than the diameter of the antenna and install grommets around the outside. than you can use 1\4 inch wire rope from the hardware store and a couple of u bolt clamps to make loops on the end of the wire at the right length. leave a big gap in the wire and put in a turnbuckle so you can tighten it when needed.

Thanks

They have plexiglass and plywood. The problem is handling them in the wind while tethered 40 vt above the ground.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

you need a role of that cling wrap the type they use to rap boxes on skids
    i have some i can drive it up next week i will bring my rope and harness and i can take care of it ,and i will do all this for dinner
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

hay what happen to the wish list

how about some winter toys ????
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Charlie - This list will get posted tomorrow. I thought that the rime-lapse was a better comment that could not wait.

RI Swamp Yankee - The pic must look deceiving to you because it is about 5 feet in diameter. Still smaller than 9 but bigger than 3.

The thing was bought recently but not within the past year. I think it was two to three years. Plexiglass is not the way we want to go because it doesn't self deice very easily. We were going to stretch a tarp but in 100 mph winds, aint no tarp in the world strong enough to hold on in those winds regardless of the strength. We are looking for a stronger cover though. We are talking to the other communication people up here with dishes to see what they use. So far, uncovered in 100+ mph winds, we still have internet. So short term, we are OK. Lets hope it lasts.
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)

Thanks

The "wild things" idea got me thinking. I bet if you got a "tarp" made out of that material they use for crampon pouches and doggie bowls from wild things or ragged mountain, it would hold if you grommetted it and pulled it over the opening. I forget what they call the stuff, but it is tough as nails and somewhat pliable.

Somebody head down to the scrap shop at ragged!
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386