Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: help from my photographer friends

Thanks

Default help from my photographer friends

Time for a new camera. What do you guys think of this deal from Best Buy.

Canon EOS Rebel XS 10mp D-SLR w/ 18-55 lens AND a Canon 75-300 lens for $600.

Are the Rebels a lower quality compared to the D series? I want excellent quality for under $1000. Possible? What am I shooting? Nature, family (kids), mountains, a little of everything I guess.

Thanks for your help guys!
    ~Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Time for a new camera. What do you guys think of this deal from Best Buy.

Canon EOS Rebel XS 10mp D-SLR w/ 18-55 lens AND a Canon 75-300 lens for $600.

Are the Rebels a lower quality compared to the D series? I want excellent quality for under $1000. Possible? What am I shooting? Nature, family (kids), mountains, a little of everything I guess.

Thanks for your help guys!
    The cameras are at the point now where they can outresolve the lenses that you put in front of them. The Rebel series has a great sensor, but simpler controls and a plastic body. This accounts for the price reduction between the d series, but honestly, you would NEVER outgrow it. I have considered 'upgrading' to an xsi from my 20D...but really haven't outgrown my 20D.

Now to the heart of my remark. If the cameras can outresolve the lenses, you at this point should focus on the lenses. And the lenses you propose are pretty bad. I had both, I was constantly disappointed. I sold them both within a week. I recently put a 75-300 on it again, and wow...it's not good.

I would forego the kit lens, buy a lesser camera and put more $ into the glass. A sigma 17-70 replaces the kit lens well, and wait for a modest telephoto, or splurge $500 for the 70-200 F4.

Don't get those lenses...It's just my opinion...but it's true!

Jim
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

check out www.bhphoto.com they are out of NY and they usually have good deals. They are a great company and most professionals get their stuff there and I have ordered from them multiple time and never had a problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimS View Post
    The cameras are at the point now where they can outresolve the lenses that you put in front of them. The Rebel series has a great sensor, but simpler controls and a plastic body. This accounts for the price reduction between the d series, but honestly, you would NEVER outgrow it. I have considered 'upgrading' to an xsi from my 20D...but really haven't outgrown my 20D.

Now to the heart of my remark. If the cameras can outresolve the lenses, you at this point should focus on the lenses. And the lenses you propose are pretty bad. I had both, I was constantly disappointed. I sold them both within a week. I recently put a 75-300 on it again, and wow...it's not good.

I would forego the kit lens, buy a lesser camera and put more $ into the glass. A sigma 17-70 replaces the kit lens well, and wait for a modest telephoto, or splurge $500 for the 70-200 F4.

Don't get those lenses...It's just my opinion...but it's true!

Jim

Jim..good to know! Congrats on you engagement too! So the Rebels are ok? Just by one without the lens and go with one like the Sigma? How about a good telephoto?
    ~Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Jim..good to know! Congrats on you engagement too! So the Rebels are ok? Just by one without the lens and go with one like the Sigma? How about a good telephoto?

Yeah..the rebels are more than fine. I'd get the sigma to start and see if you feel limited either long or wide...but 17-70 will get you by for a week or so!
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

I have an older Rebel 6.3 mp in prestine cond. and I have taken some decent photos with my 70-300 ( on the tripode) but I don't use my 18-55 lense that came with it I bought a 28-135 i/s lens. I am going to be either putting it craigs list or trading it in as soon as my camera shop calls me to tell me my 5d mark 2 is in. I hate waiting. But my rebel has been good to me and it is pretty simple to use.

Thanks

Not to complicate things, but... :-)

Two stories -

A few weeks ago, my sister and I took several hundred pictures of my niece and nephew, trying to get one for her to use to for a Christmas card - she later called to say that my pictures were much clearer, brighter, etc. than hers, even though we were standing right next to each other when taking them... She was using a Canon Rebel Xti, with canon lenses, I was using a Nikon D-80 w/ a Nikon lens...

As a result, she wanted to get a better lens for Christmas. I talked to a knowledgeable friend who works for a client's photo shop - and has worked there for 30+ years. He essentially said not to bother putting a really good lens on a Rebel, Canon lens or otherwise - in his opinion, you'd be wasting your time/money.

Consequently, I got a call from my sister the other day - she was at Costco, and there was a good deal on a Nikon D-90, which she is now the happy owner of... :-)

Almost all of the pictures that I've posted were taken with my D-80 - though some were taken with my $300 Canon SD800 - unless you look at the Exif data, I don't think the average viewer (myself included) can tell the difference...

Buy what you are most comfortable/skillful with, and can comfortably afford - if you stick with Nikon or Canon, I think you'll have a hard time finding a truly "bad" camera.

As far as third-party lenses, Sigma and Tamron are both good. The lens for some of my summit pictures is a wide angle Tamron.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Thanks

I won't comment on the camera choice - Jim, Ed and others here are far more qualified than I am for that. I will however say that you aren't going to get your best deal at Best Buy (or most local stores). B&H as was suggested by bc529 is a good online option. There will probably be some who disagree with me, but my favorite online store is BuyDig.com. I've bought my last 4 digital cameras from them and their service and reliability has been fantastic. Usually the best prices around as well. The price from both them and B&H are about $100 less than the Best Buy price on the XS (camera only) - $469 with free shipping and no tax.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

I generally agree with the above. I have several friends with the Rebel and they love it. The key, as Jim says, is the lens. I have a 24-85mm Canon lens that came with the D60 that I no longer use. It works fine, but does not have the quality and range I need.

I first got the Canon 28-135mm IS and loved it. This is my standard, most of the time lens. It has the range for most of what I shoot. In addition to range think about how much weight you are willing to carry. I am willing to pack a 70-300mm IS lens I got later to extend the range with a nice overlap and a 16-35mm wide angle f2.8 lens. With good overlap between lens you can reduce the number of swaps of lens while you are shooting.

Get the lens you want over time - but get as good a lens as you can.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Wow... this could end up being a long post from me... so for now I will say... that I agree with JimS... and when I get to work and have a couple minutes I will repost on all this...
    TRJ Photography
    Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum Staff Photographer
    Canon Professional Services
    Are you a photographer in the Northeastern USA? Click here for www.Northeastfoto.com