Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It is getting closer now.

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default It is getting closer now.

Awhile back I had made a few threads about a winter hike up Mt. Washington.

My brother in law, Dean, and I will be heading up to NH the day after Christmas and hopefully will get a spot to camp at either Hermit lake shelters or Harvard cabin. I see the weather has been quite cold and that is a good thing as I will be using this trip as some training for my attempt at the West Buttress route on McKinley this summer.

It has been neat reading some past experiences this winter on the Lion's head route. Also glad to see there haven't been too many incidents up there this winter. I would like to thank Climbabout for his suggestion in reading material. "not without peril".

After our trip I will post some pictures here and tell you guys about it. We are looking to just have a great time and if the weather opens up and we make the summit then great, if not, this trip will be a blast.
    "Commitment is doing the thing you said you'd do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." - Bear Grylls' mother

Thanks

I'm looking forward to your pictures. I also want to attempt a winter summit of the mountain. I'm not quite as brave and will be going on an REI guided trip (hopefully, in March). Not to mention I do not own enough winter gear and they'll provide it as part of the hike package (the use anyhow - we don't get to keep it). I've also read Howe's book. I'm hoping your pictures and trip report will replace the images in my mind from "Not Without Peril" before I go. ;-) Good luck! Stay warm and safe.

Thanks

I think Corey has fallen in love with the mountain.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Interesting that Not Without Peril should provide motivation for winter trip planning. I've read it too and enjoyed it, but I didn't find that it made me more eager to climb the mountain. Of course I can't resist anyway since I've fallen in love with it (and all the White Mountains) just like Corey...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

For me, any literature to do with mountaineering and climbing gets me pumped. While the tragedies are not motivational, they are educational. Anything that is descriptive and has to do with where one might go or has been is always more enjoyable to read.
    "Commitment is doing the thing you said you'd do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." - Bear Grylls' mother

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iceclimber View Post
    For me, any literature to do with mountaineering and climbing gets me pumped. While the tragedies are not motivational, they are educational. Anything that is descriptive and has to do with where one might go or has been is always more enjoyable to read.
    I think you hit it right on the head. The educational aspect is huge. For me the most incredible part about reading NWP was remembering being in so many of the spots that are being described (except under much different conditions) and being that much more amazed by the circumstances and the results.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Texas, currently. Moving back north to New England as soon as possible.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iceclimber View Post
    Awhile back I had made a few threads about a winter hike up Mt. Washington.

My brother in law, Dean, and I will be heading up to NH the day after Christmas and hopefully will get a spot to camp at either Hermit lake shelters or Harvard cabin. I see the weather has been quite cold and that is a good thing as I will be using this trip as some training for my attempt at the West Buttress route on McKinley this summer.
    The West Buttress route on Denali is a month long slog to the top. From TR I have read the most you have to prepare for is long slogs with 60 lb pack, and the altitude. It would be in your best interest to get very familiar with altitude sickness. Drink plenty of water on your ascent. This route draws thousands a year. If I remember correctly, it will still cost a good bit of money to get you to the top. Not as much as Everest, but still a chunk from what I heard. Good luck to you, I know you can make it.

Thanks

Denali can be climbed on your own relatively cheaply. $150 park fee, $300 or so for the flight and that's it. Except for all the gear and food. I'm at a point where I'd be comfortable leading a trip there.

The traverse will be good prep. Carrying a 80-100lb pack and dragging a sled is what you need to prepare for. I agree, learn everything you can about altitude sickness but other than staying hydrated you can't prepare for it.

If you're going with a guide they will take great care of you. If you're doing it on your own let me know and I can share some tips. For one, tough it out and do a single carry to camp one...its mostly flat.

I think I mentioned this before, even if you go with a guide, learn everything you can about the mountain. Don't just tag along, know the routes.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Texas, currently. Moving back north to New England as soon as possible.
    Thanks

That's true Bill, I agree with you. If you do it all Alpine style and haul it all up with you, prepare for a very heavy load. I use a Dana Design Astralplane Overkill. You can't get those anymore, but you can get the new Mystery Ranch Kodiak, which is the newest incarnation out of Bozeman.

Take sunscreen, drink lots of water, and don't walk with your head down, keep looking around so you know where you are. Remember, drink lots of water.. even though it's cold outside, you need it. Being dehydrated leads to a lot of problems! Keep your clothes dry, the ones you are wearing and the ones in your pack.

Keep in mind park costs, the plane in to the glacier, food costs, equipment costs, the cost of the regular plane fare to alaska, all adds up.

Thanks

We are attempting the West Buttress on Denali in 2010! If anyone has any pointers I am all ears. I can carry 50-60 lbs (it does slow me down) but am capable of carrying 45lbs for many days without suffering much. I keep my Jandd Golith pack in my car and hike with it up hills during my lunch break. I vary the pack weight from 30-60lbs.
    I also bring a heavy pack with me when we do trips with slower people. This summer I threw 40lbs in my pack when we hiked Mt Washington with my parents. (It kept me from going to fast and it was great training!)
    Anyway, enjoy! -
    Work to live, live to play, but never live to work.
    Check out my adventures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfolcik/sets/