Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacking with waterbottles

Thanks

Default Backpacking with waterbottles

Hello all,

My name is Brent Baade I am in a national program called Project Lead The Way which helps students like me to excel and prepare for careers in mathematics, science, and engineering. For the class I am enrolled in, my group has to find, justify, design, and then test a uniquely individual research project. We are doing our project on backpacking and the better use of water container or bottles while backpacking.

We have done research that shows problems with the current designs for carrying water while backpacking. We have found many people that say it is hard to reach their water bottles out of their backpacks. This is very annoying, as many of you may know, but hydration packs are any better. They often leak or break. Also, when you are using one, you cannot check how much water is left in the pack. This can lead to running out of water unexpectedly, which can lead to dehydration.

If you have any opinions on the matter, please post a response or send us an email. Any response will greatly help us and we would greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you all and have a happy holiday!

Thanks

If I go on a multi-day trip I always bring a backup to my water-bladder. Usually a bag Nalgene that I can roll up and store in my bag. The consequences to water-bladder failure are too severe without a backup.

I disagree about the statement that they are hard to tell how full they are. True, it is hard to tell how much water is left. But I don't agree that can lead to dehydration. Chances are I just sucked down 80 oz of water in my bladder and I'm not at risk of dehydration anytime soon.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Texas, currently. Moving back north to New England as soon as possible.
    Thanks

What's wrong with just getting a water bottle out of your pack, or from inside your parka? Seems a lot of technical BS for water carrying I still haven't started to use a camelback. A friend of mine has used one for years and has never had one of the bladders fail yet.
    Only one way to go.. Up!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ColdWeatherClimber View Post
    What's wrong with just getting a water bottle out of your pack, or from inside your parka? Seems a lot of technical BS for water carrying I still haven't started to use a camelback. A friend of mine has used one for years and has never had one of the bladders fail yet.
    Good point. Its actually been awhile since I've used my camelbak. Its a process to use that thing. Water bottles just work with no hassle.

I can take it out of my pack without stopping. And it takes just a few seconds to stop and take a sip. Its not like I'm trying to win the Eco-Challenge or whatever that race is called now.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Exactly.....
    Only one way to go.. Up!

Thanks

Ease of access to the bottles depends on the pack. I've got a couple that are very easy access with and one that I basically can't access without a hand from my partner. That one is unfortunately my multi-day pack. I've also used an insulated zip top holder that fits a standard size Nalgene with a Velcro loop that I hang on the pack waist strap. Makes for easy access and keeps the bottle from freezing in winter (and cold on summer day hikes). I really don't like bladders - the bottles are just easier in my opinion.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ColdWeatherClimber View Post
    Exactly.....
    Oops.... sorry guys, I didn't realize this was a 'power post'. I just read about it in another section.

Getting back to water while climbing/hiking/backpacking with a pack, most of the time water can be had very easily if you just take a little time to plan it out. For instance my big Dana pack, well, I don't want to keep taking it off and back on for a little water. If I want water, I can access the top lid above my head. So if the temps aren't going to freeze the water to ice, I'll keep one or two up there. If temps are cold.... then I will keep a bottle inside my parka, and put the others inside the pack, upside down.
    Only one way to go.. Up!

Thanks

I have had the hose on my camelbak freeze up. That was annoying. So, either you have to blow back the water out of the hose into the bladder after drinking or get a replacement hose that is insulated - or do both. I have the insulated hose option and have been pleased with it.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

I like to drink my full day supply of water before I leave. That way there I'm carrying it in my stomach.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

I hang Nalgenes from carabiners on either side of my hip strap on the pack. They're close to me so they're not bouncing or banging into me and are easily reachable. And on my big pack, the water bottle holders on the sides are angled for quick retrieval. I don't use bladders at all; IMO they're more of a hassle than good.....unless I have to pee.
    ~Rich