Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking with waterbottles

Thanks

Well Brent, you've certainly come to the right place for a lot of opinions and info!

I don't get to hike nearly as frequent as others on this forum, but here's my experiences.

Before doing more hiking I did a lot more mountain biking, kayaking and carried a CamelBack. I think they have a superior product and have never experienced leaks with mine. I've got two different size packs for these and four bladders. My issues with them are that they need a little more maintenance than you standard water bottle, keeping the bladder and hose clean. I've purchased the CamelBack cleaning kits with the brushes, sanitization tablets and rack for drying. I can typically tell by the weight if I'm getting low on water. Only once, during a 24 hour adventure race, did I ever run dry unexpectedly, however my teammates each had water to spare.

When I go out on the trail I typically carry two large Nalgyene bottles for my water supply. My backback does have a pocket for the bladder, but I've found that it takes up too much room in the pack and I can place the bottles in the side pockets of my pack. I always carry a Steripen in my gear, so I'm never too far away from drinkable water. This allows me to only carry what I need.

While the Camelback bladder is far more usable, and when my pack is full I can not reach the side pockets for the bottles, I find that actually forces me to stop, off-load my pack every once in a while and take a break.

Perhaps there are better pack designs that make them more accessible. I have had good luck and really like the Osprey packs, so I will pick their pack with less accessible pockets, versus another brand that does. I have been using an Atmos 35 which is fairly small as packs go in order to force me to pack light. However, I recently picked up one of the Atmos 65s for longer trips and cold weather where I need room for larger bag and more layered clothing.

For reference.. here's my pack with waterbottles on it.

Also to note, when it comes to water bladders, I've found brand makes all the difference. Camelback is hands down the best in my experience. As thanksful I am for the folks that organized all the goodie bags for Seek the Peak, the waterbladder that came in the pack that they gave us leaks like crazy. I believe this was a Coleman brand, but I'm not 100% sure.

Hope that helps and let us know how your research project goes!
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

I use freezer dryed water tablets...pop one in your mouth and you're good for hours. They come in single cup and pint size.

Seriously, Camelback is the way to go IMHO

Thanks

I can see the pro and cons for both bottles and bladders. While using a bladder I tend to drink more often taking smaller sips which I feel is better for you. When I drink from a water bottle I tend to take out the bottle less often and when I do I am drinking larger amounts of water at one time. For these reasons I like to carry both. I use the bladder while actually hiking to keep me continually hydrated and when I stop to take a break I will pull out my bottle esp if I am eating a meal (protein bar) at the time. Good luck with your project.
    Kevin (MeridenFF)
    Last one to the top buys the first beer!

Thanks

I'm terrible about carrying too much water, ha. (Old habit, while hiking some trails in highschool, my friends always forgot their water, so I got used to bring "extra")

For long hikes, I have my Camelback and 2 water bottles. The Camelback I use while walking, and when we rest, use the water bottles....they are in my side pockets secured with carabiners. (I am also a huge sucker for collecting water bottle and carabiners....sigh...)

LOL, I was just remembering my first hike of KWMN, my buddy and I carried way too much water....forgetting wecould refill at the top.

Thanks

Seriously, I use a Camelback bladder in my backpack and I love it. When I'm hiking I don't like to be reaching around trying to find my water. It's always there at the end of the hose so I find myself drinking more than I used to with a bottle. My CB is in an insulated case which I like because it keeps the bladder safe from puncture and keeps my water cold longer.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

While we are on the subject... question of the day it seems...

Aluminum bottle or Nalgene Bottle?

Personally I have two of the large Nalgene ones. Thought about converting to the metal ones but not really sure its worth it. Yeah, I know about the BPA, and all mine are newer BPA-Free bottles.

Opinons?
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Texas, currently. Moving back north to New England as soon as possible.
    Thanks

Any bottle that is new and BPA free. I have a few older nalgene bottles I am tossing. If I went for metal, I'd go stainless steel, not aluminum. I already have enough memory problems without aluminum in my system
    Only one way to go.. Up!

Thanks

I use a Camel back bladder in my backpack and also carry 3 or more bottles of water . i sweat a lot so i need to drink a lot
    last year at STP i had my bladder ,about another gal of sport drink .i made it to the bottom of loins head and then back down ,when i got to my car i had nothing left

my be i can use some of those freezer dried water tablets
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ColdWeatherClimber View Post
    Any bottle that is new and BPA free. I have a few older nalgene bottles I am tossing. If I went for metal, I'd go stainless steel, not aluminum. I already have enough memory problems without aluminum in my system
    Stainless.. yeah, that's what I meant. Maybe I HAVE been drinking aluminum!
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11

Thanks

I like having both as well. One thing I like to do is freeze 3/4 of a bottle then fill it with water before I head out. This has two advantages, one the water stays cold, and two it makes me meter ot my water intake. The bladder is just easier to use although I agree that it takes more effort both before and after the hike to maintain it. One thing that could be looked at is the shape of the bottles to maximize their usefulness and to help on accessability. The use of clips and/or straps or fannypacks to carry the bottles could also be looked at.