Thread: Spending 2-3 nights backcountry around Mt washington

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Spending 2-3 nights backcountry around Mt washington

So I am planning on spending a few nights out during the holidays and was wondering what I should do/which way to go.. here is my plan

I want to walk on the ridge of the Presidential for a while but nor sure which way to go from Washington. Is the boott spur link open in winter? So I could walk up Tuckerman and make a left there and keep going in that direction(see lakes of the clouds hut, perhaps setup my tent around there if possible?) on the ridge or should I go Lion's head then walk on the ridge behind the summit.

I will be camping, have all the equipment that I might need, crampons, snowshoes, ice axe.. This will be my fifth time on the mountain so I know it is very unpredictable.

So basicly, I am here to get some suggestions on where to go, if I have 3 or 4 nights to spend on the mountain. Leave from Pinkham notch, sleep around lakes of the clouds? I read there were some tent spots. and I know about the 2 feet of snow to camp in alpine zone, 1/4 mile away from main trail/ water?
    I just bought the AMC White Mountain guide but am looking for ideas, and a bit more info since there isn't much on winter trails in the book it seems.

Thanks!
    Hopefully the drive won't be too bad, coming from Quebec. eeps

Thanks

If you have the AMC guide it has all the winter rules clearly written. No need to elaborate there.

Whatever you see in the book pretty much works in the winter, there are no "winter" trails. Except that they are covered in snow and ice, generally not maintained and may become hard to follow above tree line.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
    If you have the AMC guide it has all the winter rules clearly written. No need to elaborate there.

Whatever you see in the book pretty much works in the winter, there are no "winter" trails. Except that they are covered in snow and ice, generally not maintained and may become hard to follow above tree line.
    Thanks, I haven't finished reading the book yet, should have waited before posting.

and camping on either side of the ridge is fine. is there a "better" side with less wind perhaps?
    thank you

Thanks

Not sure I know what ridge you are talking about, but yes, it matters. You can't camp in the Cutler River drainage even above tree line. Which the book describes in the camping section.

As far as what side of the ridge to camp on, assuming its legal, you'll rapidly be able to assess which side has less wind when you are on location. 75% of the time the wind comes form the north or west.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default Camp

Boot Spur Link will be "Open", but will be a difficult climb with a full pack. May be some real sketchy sections. If you make it up this and over Boott Spur and want to head for Lakes, there are some good spots as you cross the Bigelow Lawn along the Camel Trail where you can get down in the rocks and scrub and could camp, but this area is exposed to the northwest winds. Success would depend totally on the wind/weather. Getting below tree-line from there would be difficult and may put you down in the Dry River Wilderness below Oakes Gulf, a long walk from any roads. Good luck and post some pictures and a TR when you get back.

KDT

Thanks

I'd pay close attention to avalanche advisories if going up Boott Spur Link.