Thread: favorite zoom lens?

Thanks

Default favorite zoom lens?

I need a new zoom. I'm tempted by the range of the 18-200mm, but I'm suspicious of quality. I need to replace my 24-70mm f/2.8 Sigma. I'm happy with my 75-300mm IS Canon zoom, but I need a new smaller zoom to go with it. I always wish it more like 17mm or 18mm to whatever.

Chime in, please
    nature photography of the White Mountains
    by Patrick LaFreniere
    new site: www.pbase.com/myworld

Thanks

In digging around today after your earlier question, i'll put two possible options on the table...

Sigma seems to have improved upon the 18-200 with an OS model, and it gets better reviews.

I might consider the Sigma 17-70 though.

I've shot with it before...as former observer Jon Cotton picked this lens for his outfit after much research. Seems sharp and solid. Gets good reviews, and a good price too...
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...&cat=37&page=1

Hopefully others have good thoughts...
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

I have the 15-135mm IS (72mm) f4.0 - 5.6 Canon lens have liked it. It is a nice range.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

My lenses are Nikon and Tamron, but brand aside, my two main lenses are 18 to 200, and 16 to 85, both VR, which is the Nikon equivalent of IS. I also have a Tamron, which is 11 to 18, if I remember correctly. These three lenses seem to cover all situations, and the 18 - 200 covers quite of few of them all alone.

Ed

Thanks

I have the 18-200 Sigma OS... and it IS a good lens... I would bet the new Canon model is every bit as good as the sigma is as well... the main thing with a hyperfocal lens is that there is a lot of glass moving...so you end up with sweet spots on the lens... but yet the whole focal range will not be possibly up to the par you are looking for... I will say that I use my 18-200 strictly for infrared... and it seems to do real well... I was looking to only have 2 lenses in that kit so this worked out very well for me... and its IQ has been on par with what I have expected out of it... hopeully if you go that route you will have the same experiences I have... I will tell you that this lens while covering the whole range you are seeking will NOT be a replacement for any f/2.8 lens though... generally speaking lenses that will go that fast also have "better" glass in them as well...
    TRJ Photography
    Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum Staff Photographer
    Canon Professional Services
    Are you a photographer in the Northeastern USA? Click here for www.Northeastfoto.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h2oeco View Post
    My lenses are Nikon and Tamron, but brand aside, my two main lenses are 18 to 200, and 16 to 85, both VR,

You are VERY lucky shooting Nikon for the 18-200... Nikons 18-200VR is so far the best of that particular lens range... I have got a chance to shoot with one... (my girlfriend has one) and its really nice...
    TRJ Photography
    Are you a photographer in the Northeastern USA? Click here for www.Northeastfoto.com

Thanks

Default OK

I'm about the only one here who shoots with Nikon so I don't get in these discussions much, but my choice of lens is neutral.

My favorite lens I've ever used is my Tamron 28-200 Zoom. If you've seen my photos you've seen it's ability. Try one, you'll like them.

I also have a Tamron 200-400 zoom which I also like very much. The price is right.

KDT

Thanks

Orgnoi1, thanks for the feedback on the lens. We can all read a hundred online reviews about any piece of equipment, but it's better to hear from photograhers here who's work we can see. I love my Sigma, but I'll bet there were plenty of detractors of the lens at that time. We all have different needs and expectations and budgets. I only need a lens to do what [B][I]I[I] need it to do. We all have different shooting styles.

Thanks, Kevin, Brad, Ed and Jim as well.
    nature photography of the White Mountains
    by Patrick LaFreniere
    new site: www.pbase.com/myworld

Thanks

You are more than welcome... if you want to see some instances of use of this lens then you can go right here:

http://northeastfoto.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=290

Here is one in particular I love...

Any thread started by me in there (The Infrared Section) will probably have something I shot with this lens... unless its WAY wide and fishy...LOL which would be my Tokina 10-17FE... those are the only 2 lenses I use on my IR cameras...
    TRJ Photography