Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Late May Hike

Thanks

There are some established campsites along the AT, and you can also camp many other places in the White Mountain National Forest (with some rules about things like staying a certain distance from streams and no camping above treeline). The AMC White Mountain Guide has all the information you need, and there are probably some books about hiking the AT that would be helpful too. Good luck with your planning, and post some pictures on this forum when you've had your trip!

Thanks

thanks, and dont worry, i plan on taking many pictures

Thanks

also what would be recommended clothing to carry during mid-late may in the area?

Thanks

I went up Mt Washington last Memorial Day, and we definatley had some snow (I slid down a patch, I'm bringing microspikes this year )

It was really neat to see the snow....on some parts the hike was a bit easier since we were just walking on snow rather than the rocks. And on the way down we got to see some skiers, very cool.

We're going again this Mem. Day.....I can't wait!

Thanks

You said you were planning a "several" day trip. Depending on your milage you can very well run into snow in late may. I will post pics of snow last year in the middle of May. The ridge is actually the least place to expect snow. IMO on the AT places like the saddles between Lafayette, Haystack, and the Carters tend to hold snow longer as they are in the scrub and trail runs the north side of the mtns. Postholing sucks in shorts As for clothing, basic underlayers, shells and a light insulator should be fine.