Thread: The Pemi Loop

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default The Pemi Loop

We are attempting the Pemi Loop January 24th if anyone is intersted. It should be fun but hard. Plan on 3-5 days depending on conditions. We are going to be starting up to the Bonds and then finishing down the flume area. It is about 32 miles. I have not finished all the logistics yet, but will have them done after the new year! We did a dry run this summer and it will be a very strenuous attempt.
    Work to live, live to play, but never live to work.
    Check out my adventures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfolcik/sets/

Thanks

The difficulty will depend tremendously on how much the various sections have been packed down by other people. These days, with so many winter peakbaggers, if you go out early on a Saturday morning (like Jan. 24) you'll have a much harder time than if you start on a Sunday. But of course the timing of snow events has a major impact, too.

Thanks

Default Packed

I can almost guaranty the section between Garfield and Galehead Hut will not be packed out. I was with a very experienced group last year and we could not even find the trail. I'd be surprised if the sections from the Bonds to South Twin were packed and even if they were they are so windblown they would probably be blown in shortly after being packed. From Lafayette to Garfield will be questionable as well. Of course last years snow depths were huge. Spent most of the winter hiking through treetops.

KDT
    Last edited by KD Talbot; 12-23-2008 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks

Default What a great image...

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot View Post
    Spent most of the winter hiking through treetops.
    KDT
    I love the image that I get from the phrase "hiking through treetops". I know that you're not exaggerating. I seem to recall some pictures from last winter with blazes at boot-top level (and I imagine that those were the high ones).
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

I have been hearing a lot about this deep unpacked section. Hopefully we can motor right through. Of course I will be watching the weather for that weekend and we will make our decision based on that. It seems really fun and challenging. How many nights are to be expected and are there any suggested winter camping areas? (I know about the 2 feet of snow rule)
    Work to live, live to play, but never live to work.
    Check out my adventures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfolcik/sets/

Thanks

Default Camp

You can always spend a night at Guyot Shelter, and tthere are campsites on Garfield Ridge. May be hard to find depending on the snow. Are you going clockwise or counter clockwise? Makes all the difference. Personally, I'd go counter clockwise as there would be more escape routes once you reach Galehead. Many prefer to get Franconia Ridge out of the way first, though. A lot of options to weigh. In good conditions it could be done with 2 nights out.

KDT