Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking goals for 2009

Thanks

Default Hiking goals for 2009

Anyone want to share their hiking goals for 2009?

Mine are:

average one NH 4K peak a week

and

help Alex acheive her own NH4K goals

Anyone else want to share?

Thanks

I just want to be able to walk 6 miles a day for exercise. Any trail work would be a bonus!

Plan on hiking to Tucks this spring to shoot panos of the skiers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TrishandAlex View Post
    Mine are:

average one NH 4K peak a week

and

help Alex acheive her own NH4K goals
    Great goals. Wish I could even hope for that. For me it's getting to the mountains as often as possible and hiking as much as I can. Wish I could even hope to be more specific. STP is certainly on the list. Should get a week in July at that time and already have our annual reservation for Acadia in August so that's a couple of weeks for sure. Am going to try for a couple of weekends with the local AMC northern hikes group like I did for FOT48 last fall (hopefully at least one in winter). Shooting for some time in the Adairondaks this summer as well. Next weekend were staying at Cardigan lodge to get at least a little winter hiking in since we aren't going to make it up in Feb this year. Now that I've gone down the list it's starting to sound pretty good. Not quite a 4k a week though. Maybe early retirement and a move up north is in order

Quote Originally Posted by spyboy View Post
    I just want to be able to walk 6 miles a day for exercise. Any trail work would be a bonus!

Plan on hiking to Tucks this spring to shoot panos of the skiers
    6 miles a day is an excellent goal. I managed to average 5 a day in 2007 (1700 for the year) but fell way off this year since I didn't have time for my daily 4 miles at lunch at work each day. Probably wound up averaging about 20 miles a week this year. Somehow managed not to put the weight back on that I dropped in '07 (30 lbs) though.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Hey Mark (and anyone else who's in the area next week) -- I'd like to do Tom, Field and Willey next weekend, hopefully Jan 3 (Saturday).* If you feel like doing those peaks, let me know, I'd love the company.* (Alex will not be with me).

Thanks

I want to knock off a couple more 4000 footers. I have 17 right now, would love to be at 30 by the end of next year. Definitely getting that stupid East Osceola off the list this year!

STP is on my list, also...I'm going to train a bit better so that Tuck's doesn't take so much out of me on that last half mile.

And, I'm going to sign up for an Edu-trip for my birthday! Thought I deserved a nice present after this crappy year

Thanks

My goals this year are pretty aggressive, but I guess if I set the goals high and achieve even half, then I'm still in good shape.

Yosemite National Park to hike up Half Dome, Clouds Rest and other spots. Looking at spending several days in the park backcountry hiking/camping. I'm actually in the planning stages of this and my laptop is sitting on the topo for the park as I type this. If anyone wants to meet me there I'm looking for someone to hike with! (Either last week of May or first week of June)

A winter/snow hike of Mount Washington. Not sure when yet.

Seek the Peak 09 is a must-do of course!

Start section hiking the Appalachian Trail. Thinking of tackling it one state at a time starting with Georgia.

I'd love to do a Presidential Traverse at some point this year.

I'm sure I'll spend some time in the Shenandoah National Park which is pretty much my backyard.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TrishandAlex View Post
    Hey Mark (and anyone else who's in the area next week) -- I'd like to do Tom, Field and Willey next weekend, hopefully Jan 3 (Saturday).* If you feel like doing those peaks, let me know, I'd love the company.* (Alex will not be with me).
    Wish I could but my wife and daughter are going to be there and they won't be off skiing this year since we only have a couple of days. T/F/W in the winter may be a bit of a stretch for us this year (particularly my often grumbling 14 year old). If she was only half as ambitious as Alex... I think that the plan is to do Cardigan on Saturday anyway since it's the only full day we'll have. Wish timing was a bit different since I'd really love to join you. Long range forecast sounds pretty good for next weekend (not that I really put any stock in any forecast more than 24 hours out).
    Mark

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    My goals this year are pretty aggressive, but I guess if I set the goals high and achieve even half, then I'm still in good shape.

Yosemite National Park to hike up Half Dome, Clouds Rest and other spots. Looking at spending several days in the park backcountry hiking/camping. I'm actually in the planning stages of this and my laptop is sitting on the topo for the park as I type this. If anyone wants to meet me there I'm looking for someone to hike with! (Either last week of May or first week of June)

A winter/snow hike of Mount Washington. Not sure when yet.

Seek the Peak 09 is a must-do of course!

Start section hiking the Appalachian Trail. Thinking of tackling it one state at a time starting with Georgia.

I'd love to do a Presidential Traverse at some point this year.

I'm sure I'll spend some time in the Shenandoah National Park which is pretty much my backyard.
    Now I'm really jealous - particularly about Yosemite. That's #1 on my list of where I want to get to outside of our regular NE locations. The rest of your plans sound great as well.
    Mark

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtruman View Post
    Now I'm really jealous - particularly about Yosemite. That's #1 on my list of where I want to get to outside of our regular NE locations. The rest of your plans sound great as well.
    Now's the time to start making plans. Just need to fly yourself out there. I've got just about everything else figure out! I'll be a good training hike for StP 09!
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    Now's the time to start making plans. Just need to fly yourself out there. I've got just about everything else figure out! I'll be a good training hike for StP 09!
    Training for STP on Half Dome huh? Isn't that perhaps a bit backwards? Actually, who cares! Problem is if I went to Yosemite without my family they'd never forgive me. Even my daughter would happily get out and hike every day there. Sure wish I could make it work this year but I'm really afraid it isn't in the cards. Looking forward to seeing the pictures and trip report(s) though. Based on how many you took in one day at STP this year I figure a few days in Yosemite is worth about 5000 or so . That kind of scenery makes putting the camera down really difficult. I think I took about 500 or so in one day at Zion. Definitely pack plenty of memory cards...
    Mark