Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hiking goals for 2009

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
    It's definitely on the list for '09...trying to put together a one week vacation in Maine, and Acadia is high on that list. Any specific recommendations in Acadia?
    There is some much good stuff in Acadia that it's impossible to list it all. We've spent a week camping there in August the last two years. I posted a really long trip report with a bunch of pictures of our favorite places here: http://www.mountwashington.org/forum...ead.php?t=4109. The short list of specific recommendations would be Mount Desert Campground for a place to stay, biking the carriage roads (anywhere is good but the ones around Jordan Pond, Eagle Lake and Witch Hole Pond are my favorites) and hiking any of the many mountains with long open ridge walks as listed in the TR. We've stayed away from hiking Cadillac just because I don't feel the need to get to the summit and find the hoards of people that drove up. You should go to the top for sunrise though - not many things more spectacular. If you paddle then a kayak in Somes Sound or around the islands off Bar Harbor is a must as well. Oh, and don't forget all of the fantastic restaurants in Bar Harbor. Like I said, impossible to list everything. The best thing about this location in general is being able to camp in an isolated beautiful waterfront campsite, hike a gorgeous mountain in the morning, stop in town for a nice late lunch and a drink, take a bike ride on the carriage roads in the afternoon, go back and paddle the kayak before dinner and then sit by the shore to watch the sunset. Lots of places to do these individually but no place else I've ever been where you can do them all in the same day.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Thumbs up Acadia - great place!

Quote Originally Posted by mtruman View Post
    There is some much good stuff in Acadia that it's impossible to list it all.
    My family spent a week in Acadia this fall. We loved it and plan to go back next year. The kids loved most of the trip too. We didn't hike much (I'm dealing with knee issues) but plan on doing much more on the next trip. The biking was awesome!

We did some geocaching there too. That led us to some neat places we wouldn't have seen otherwise!

A highlight of the trip was the incredible sunset from the top of Cadillac. It was amazing. There were a lot of people there and everyone was just awed!

A definite MUST DO!

Thanks

Default Hike more, work less

A few years ago, Jason and I were so good at making the time for doing the things we love. We even managed to fit in all of the NH 4000 footers in one 5 1/2 month period- that was a lifestyle I loved. Always outside...

I miss that. Unrealistically, my hiking goal for 2009 would be to quit my jobs and hike forever, wherever. Realistically, I just want to hike more than twice this year! It's no wonder I've been suffering from migraines and stomachaches. It's lack of fresh air! Maybe we'll start working on our VT and ME 4000 footers this year....

Thanks

Wink washington to alaska

i am new to this site.i live in minnesota and its been my ambtion to hike from washington state to southern alaska.anyone who can help with info or direction please reply.i would like a companion as well but must be female.the testosterone factor would drive me nuts and im not that way.i would like to set out early spring.if anyone knows of an intermediate route please share.i am kinda knew to the hiking seen,so to speak,i did a lot of it as a young man,and want to re explore before im to old.the northwest is,i think ,the most beutiful and challenging terrain there is.

Thanks

Forgot I had this thread bookmarked. So, now that we are half way through 2009, summer has officially started and the days are now officially getting shorter... how are folks doing on their goals?

Mine were:

1. Yosemite National Park to hike up Half Dome, Clouds Rest and other spots.
    2. A winter/snow hike of Mount Washington. Not sure when yet.
    3. Seek the Peak 09 is a must-do of course!
    4. Start section hiking the Appalachian Trail. Thinking of tackling it one state at a time starting with Georgia.
    5. I'd love to do a Presidential Traverse at some point this year.

So far, I've got #1 and #4 done. Only 30 days till #3! Need to think about a good time to work on #5.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    Forgot I had this thread bookmarked. So, now that we are half way through 2009, summer has officially started and the days are now officially getting shorter... how are folks doing on their goals?

Mine were:

1. Yosemite National Park to hike up Half Dome, Clouds Rest and other spots.
    2. A winter/snow hike of Mount Washington. Not sure when yet.
    3. Seek the Peak 09 is a must-do of course!
    4. Start section hiking the Appalachian Trail. Thinking of tackling it one state at a time starting with Georgia.
    5. I'd love to do a Presidential Traverse at some point this year.

So far, I've got #1 and #4 done. Only 30 days till #3! Need to think about a good time to work on #5.
    You're going to be in the right location for STP. What the heck, just do #5 the next day.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

You laugh... I actually had the crazy thought to do it the day before!
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)