Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hiking goals for 2009

Thanks

Thumbs up Hiking Goals for 2009

As it stands now, we are planning a winter hiking trip to New Hampshire for February and would like to possibly have a second trip too. We have hiked 27 of the 48 4,000 footers and figure it may take a few more years to complete. But we are in no hurry.
    It would be much easier if we lived closer to our favorite mountains.
    In late spring we are planning to go to Nevada (our niece is graduating from college - Reno State Univ) and would like to hike more of the Sierra Mountains near Lake Tahoe. We have summited Mt. Rose, hiked but didn't make it to the top of Mt. Tallac (didn't have our snowshoes) the Buettes and others.
    And return in the fall to continue our 48 list.
    little d

Thanks

My friend is a weight loss doctor that hates prescribing pills to patients, he said everyone should get a pedometer and try to work up to 10,000 steps a day. I asked how many miles that was and he said it's about 6. I used to walk 2-4 everyday and dropped 20 lbs in 2 months (plus eating better).

I'm not fat, I'm just bulking up for winter! And now I think I should start debulking

Kirk

6 miles a day is an excellent goal. I managed to average 5 a day in 2007 (1700 for the year) but fell way off this year since I didn't have time for my daily 4 miles at lunch at work each day. Probably wound up averaging about 20 miles a week this year. Somehow managed not to put the weight back on that I dropped in '07 (30 lbs) though.

Thanks

My goal for 2009 is a simple one. To try and meetup with some of you guys and gals for some fun hikes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billysinc View Post
    My goal for 2009 is a simple one. To try and meetup with some of you guys and gals for some fun hikes.
    Sounds like a plan.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtruman View Post
    Wish I could but my wife and daughter are going to be there and they won't be off skiing this year since we only have a couple of days. T/F/W in the winter may be a bit of a stretch for us this year (particularly my often grumbling 14 year old). If she was only half as ambitious as Alex... I think that the plan is to do Cardigan on Saturday anyway since it's the only full day we'll have. Wish timing was a bit different since I'd really love to join you. Long range forecast sounds pretty good for next weekend (not that I really put any stock in any forecast more than 24 hours out).
    Oh well, we'll meet up again another time. Have fun on Cardigan! That's such a nice mountain, what fantastic views!

Thanks

Hiking goals:

--Finish NH 100 Highest. I've got nine to go! (Probably the worst is to go back and get Middle Hitchcock. Did South Hitchcock but was so sick of the conditions that we bailed out without going over to Middle.)
    --Climb a couple of Colorado Fourteeners. Probably in the San Juans.
    --On the same trip, climb Truchas Peak in New Mexico.
    --Do some hiking in the Adirondacks and western Maine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spyboy View Post
    My friend is a weight loss doctor that hates prescribing pills to patients, he said everyone should get a pedometer and try to work up to 10,000 steps a day. I asked how many miles that was and he said it's about 6. I used to walk 2-4 everyday and dropped 20 lbs in 2 months (plus eating better).

I'm not fat, I'm just bulking up for winter! And now I think I should start debulking

Kirk
    Yup, 10,000 steps a day is the "standard goal" for the pedometer. That's normally counting all your regular "getting around" as well as specific fitness walking. When I was counting miles it was just the specific walking for exercise miles. A wore a pedo all the time the first year and found that I averaged about 14,000 steps a day at the 5 mile average (at my stride I get about 2000 steps a mile so there were about 2 extra miles in there for just getting around). You're absolutely right though - if you really do this on a regular basis and get just the 10K the weight is going to come off and you're going to feel great. Of course if you can manage to do it on some nice trails in the woods or better yet on a mountain it's just going to be that much better...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Hiking goals for 09,

Get to a place I can hike....and hike.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Default Goals

I will walk along the forest trails and marvel at the beautiful wildflowers. I will watch the last of the snows melt off of the mountains. I will listen to the water trickling over the rocks and wonder how long it will be on the earth before it is lifted back into the heavens to fall again. I will lay in an open field and listen to the birds. I will sleep under the stars and moon and when I awake I will watch the sun climb above the horizon. I will feel it warm me as I watch it cast shadows on the surrounding mountains, and I will watch them disappear as the sun claims the sky. I will watch clouds form and dissipate around the mountaintops. I will watch butterflies dance through the air. I will dive into a cold, deep mountain stream. I will be glad that I am alive. Those are my hiking goals this year.

KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot View Post
    I will walk along the forest trails and marvel at the beautiful wildflowers. I will watch the last of the snows melt off of the mountains. I will listen to the water trickling over the rocks and wonder how long it will be on the earth before it is lifted back into the heavens to fall again. I will lay in an open field and listen to the birds. I will sleep under the stars and moon and when I awake I will watch the sun climb above the horizon. I will feel it warm me as I watch it cast shadows on the surrounding mountains, and I will watch them disappear as the sun claims the sky. I will watch clouds form and dissipate around the mountaintops. I will watch butterflies dance through the air. I will dive into a cold, deep mountain stream. I will be glad that I am alive. Those are my hiking goals this year.

KDT
    Amen...

And, on a lighter note, don't forget the nekkid 48