Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: Hiking goals for 2009

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    504
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 84 Times in 54 Posts

    Thumbs up Hiking Goals for 2009

    As it stands now, we are planning a winter hiking trip to New Hampshire for February and would like to possibly have a second trip too. We have hiked 27 of the 48 4,000 footers and figure it may take a few more years to complete. But we are in no hurry.
    It would be much easier if we lived closer to our favorite mountains.
    In late spring we are planning to go to Nevada (our niece is graduating from college - Reno State Univ) and would like to hike more of the Sierra Mountains near Lake Tahoe. We have summited Mt. Rose, hiked but didn't make it to the top of Mt. Tallac (didn't have our snowshoes) the Buettes and others.
    And return in the fall to continue our 48 list.
    little d

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Hampton, NH
    Posts
    832
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    My friend is a weight loss doctor that hates prescribing pills to patients, he said everyone should get a pedometer and try to work up to 10,000 steps a day. I asked how many miles that was and he said it's about 6. I used to walk 2-4 everyday and dropped 20 lbs in 2 months (plus eating better).

    I'm not fat, I'm just bulking up for winter! And now I think I should start debulking

    Kirk

    6 miles a day is an excellent goal. I managed to average 5 a day in 2007 (1700 for the year) but fell way off this year since I didn't have time for my daily 4 miles at lunch at work each day. Probably wound up averaging about 20 miles a week this year. Somehow managed not to put the weight back on that I dropped in '07 (30 lbs) though.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bellingham, Ma / Dubois Wy.
    Posts
    361
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 40 Times in 19 Posts

    Default

    My goal for 2009 is a simple one. To try and meetup with some of you guys and gals for some fun hikes.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    White Mountains, NH
    Posts
    736
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 25 Times in 16 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billysinc View Post
    My goal for 2009 is a simple one. To try and meetup with some of you guys and gals for some fun hikes.
    Sounds like a plan.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    White Mountains, NH
    Posts
    736
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 25 Times in 16 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtruman View Post
    Wish I could but my wife and daughter are going to be there and they won't be off skiing this year since we only have a couple of days. T/F/W in the winter may be a bit of a stretch for us this year (particularly my often grumbling 14 year old). If she was only half as ambitious as Alex... I think that the plan is to do Cardigan on Saturday anyway since it's the only full day we'll have. Wish timing was a bit different since I'd really love to join you. Long range forecast sounds pretty good for next weekend (not that I really put any stock in any forecast more than 24 hours out).
    Oh well, we'll meet up again another time. Have fun on Cardigan! That's such a nice mountain, what fantastic views!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sylva, NC
    Posts
    269
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    Hiking goals:

    --Finish NH 100 Highest. I've got nine to go! (Probably the worst is to go back and get Middle Hitchcock. Did South Hitchcock but was so sick of the conditions that we bailed out without going over to Middle.)
    --Climb a couple of Colorado Fourteeners. Probably in the San Juans.
    --On the same trip, climb Truchas Peak in New Mexico.
    --Do some hiking in the Adirondacks and western Maine.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,994
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 243 Times in 126 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spyboy View Post
    My friend is a weight loss doctor that hates prescribing pills to patients, he said everyone should get a pedometer and try to work up to 10,000 steps a day. I asked how many miles that was and he said it's about 6. I used to walk 2-4 everyday and dropped 20 lbs in 2 months (plus eating better).

    I'm not fat, I'm just bulking up for winter! And now I think I should start debulking

    Kirk
    Yup, 10,000 steps a day is the "standard goal" for the pedometer. That's normally counting all your regular "getting around" as well as specific fitness walking. When I was counting miles it was just the specific walking for exercise miles. A wore a pedo all the time the first year and found that I averaged about 14,000 steps a day at the 5 mile average (at my stride I get about 2000 steps a mile so there were about 2 extra miles in there for just getting around). You're absolutely right though - if you really do this on a regular basis and get just the 10K the weight is going to come off and you're going to feel great. Of course if you can manage to do it on some nice trails in the woods or better yet on a mountain it's just going to be that much better...
    Mark

    Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir


    Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wahiawa, HI
    Posts
    2,359
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Hiking goals for 09,

    Get to a place I can hike....and hike.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kingston,NH
    Posts
    2,195
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 372 Times in 193 Posts

    Default Goals

    I will walk along the forest trails and marvel at the beautiful wildflowers. I will watch the last of the snows melt off of the mountains. I will listen to the water trickling over the rocks and wonder how long it will be on the earth before it is lifted back into the heavens to fall again. I will lay in an open field and listen to the birds. I will sleep under the stars and moon and when I awake I will watch the sun climb above the horizon. I will feel it warm me as I watch it cast shadows on the surrounding mountains, and I will watch them disappear as the sun claims the sky. I will watch clouds form and dissipate around the mountaintops. I will watch butterflies dance through the air. I will dive into a cold, deep mountain stream. I will be glad that I am alive. Those are my hiking goals this year.

    KDT

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colorado, for now
    Posts
    468
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot View Post
    I will walk along the forest trails and marvel at the beautiful wildflowers. I will watch the last of the snows melt off of the mountains. I will listen to the water trickling over the rocks and wonder how long it will be on the earth before it is lifted back into the heavens to fall again. I will lay in an open field and listen to the birds. I will sleep under the stars and moon and when I awake I will watch the sun climb above the horizon. I will feel it warm me as I watch it cast shadows on the surrounding mountains, and I will watch them disappear as the sun claims the sky. I will watch clouds form and dissipate around the mountaintops. I will watch butterflies dance through the air. I will dive into a cold, deep mountain stream. I will be glad that I am alive. Those are my hiking goals this year.

    KDT
    Amen...





    And, on a lighter note, don't forget the nekkid 48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •