Thread: Tecumseh, December 29 (without Alex)

Thanks

Default Tecumseh, December 29 (without Alex)

A run-of-the-mill Tecumseh TR...cut and pasted from my blog:
    http://trishgrid.blogspot.com

Accompanying pictures can be found on the blog...unfortunately, I'm no photographer, so they aren't exactly spectacular.

Mt. Tecumseh Trail, 4.4 miles roundtrip.

It's been a hectic few weeks. I'd been looking forward to getting out there on my own for a while now. I always like to hike with Alex, and I will enthusiastically accompany her whenever she wants to go hiking (if the weather and trails are suitable for her). However, I've always been the type to need "alone time" now and then. There's been precious little of that since the kids were born. Therefore, I've no problem hiking solo...the quiet clears my mind and calms my spirit.

Mt. Tecumseh is right down the street from our place in Campton. I can go up and down and still be back by late morning, back in time to spend the day with my family. Therefore, I'll probably end up "grid-ing" Tecumseh long before I've done most of the other mountains even twice.

I set off a bit before dawn, grabbing a proxy on my way out the door. I needed something waterproof, so the kids' Beast doll from the Polly Pockets collection got to go with me today.

Here he is on the Tecumseh Trail sign at the ski area parking lot. The sun had yet to rise, so it's still a bit dark.

I put on my snowshoes and set off down the trail (forgive the fuzziness of this next picture).

The trail was hard and packed, so snowshoes weren't really necessary. However, I wanted to practice using them, so I wore them during the ascent.

The sun came up after I had been on the trail for about half a mile or so.

I continued onward. The first half of the Tecumseh trail has easy to moderate grades.

I crossed the last water crossing and the pitch became steep. I took a short break at the "view" area.

Then came the relentless steep part. I dragged myself up it, taking ten steps and resting for ten seconds, then another ten steps and another ten seconds, etc. This method worked out well for me. I managed to make it all the way to the summit in less time than I had anticipated. From car to peak, the trip took about 2 hours. For me, that's pretty good, especially since I was still getting used to snowshoes.

As you can see, it was a beautiful day today.

I ate a snack and hung out for about 20 minutes. Then I made the decision to leave my snowshoes off for the descent (I had removed them just before the summit, when I had come to very rocky bits where all the snow had melted). I figured microspikes would do the trick all the way down, since the trail was packed and frozen.

Going down was a breeze. My feet felt much lighter without the snowshoes on, and I made it down in about an hour.

It was a very nice day out there. I came home and told Hugh he should get out there too, so he grabbed his gear and went to hike a climber's path up to the base of Cannon's cliffs. He just called a little while ago from above treeline to tell me how beautiful it is there. I took the kids out sledding right after he left, we were out for a couple of hours. So we all had a grand day today out-of-doors. Life doesn't get much better than this.

Thanks

You're so lucky to have a place in Campton as your base! Not only for hiking, but for Waterville Valley X-C skiing (and downhill too, of course, but X-C is what I do). I liked the early morning pictures that were very deep blue.

So--from Campton, you can get to the Osceolas, the Tripyramids, and Sandwich right away!

Thanks

Sounds like a great day. You sure didn't waste any time getting the TR posted either! Glad to see the conditions in that area are still pretty good. Can't wait to get up there the end of the week...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Great trip report an pics. Thank you for sharing. I am hoping to get up north in a couple of weeks to try out my new snow shoes and to just get out there.

Thanks

Thanks for your responses, folks! I do indeed feel very blessed to be able to be here each week, and hike when we're able.