Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cresent Moon, Jupiter and Mercury at sunset

Thanks

Default Cresent Moon, Jupiter and Mercury at sunset

This was taken just after sunset tonight. I'm not sure if focus was slightly off or if the gusty wind shook the tripod a bit.

The moon will be out tomorrow and Wednesday at sunset. On Wednesday it will join Venus for a nice conjunction. Get out there and shoot!
    nature photography of the White Mountains
    by Patrick LaFreniere
    new site: www.pbase.com/myworld

Thanks

That might not be safe. I will have to consult Javier on that one.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Wonderful picture. Thank you.

Thanks

What a beautiful shot. The color transitions are amazing!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    That might not be safe. I will have to consult Javier on that one.
    OK... THAT made me laugh!
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

I tried my (very cold) hand at some sky photography tonight. I learned some lessons.

1. I need to know my camera better. With little light available, it was tough fumbling around with the controls.

2. It's impossible to set your camera with gloves and after a few minutes with temps in the teens, it's impossible to set your camera without gloves.

3. I need a taller, steadier tripod.

4. The camera really needs to acclimate. Avoids steamy lenses and mirrors.

Nonetheless, here are a couple. In one you can see a plane's lights. It was a 3 second exposure, so you can see where the lights flashed a few times as it was passing.

Mark
    Randomography
    MJ Pics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
    I tried my (very cold) hand at some sky photography tonight. I learned some lessons.

1. I need to know my camera better. With little light available, it was tough fumbling around with the controls.

2. It's impossible to set your camera with gloves and after a few minutes with temps in the teens, it's impossible to set your camera without gloves.

3. I need a taller, steadier tripod.

4. The camera really needs to acclimate. Avoids steamy lenses and mirrors.

Nonetheless, here are a couple. In one you can see a plane's lights. It was a 3 second exposure, so you can see where the lights flashed a few times as it was passing.
    Mark,

Nice pictures. I keep a small pencil like mag-lite in my camera pack to see things when it is dark. When on Bulb and the camera is counting the seconds that display only shows up on the top control panel. So, the flashlight is needed. It is small enough to be able to shield it from the lens.

I also keep a very thin knit pair of gloves in my camera pack just to give some protection. They help but you still get cold and you can operate the camera with them on.

The main tripod I use is a Sunpac 7575 which is very solid. Many tripods come with a hook underneath between the legs. If you have a bungie cord or a strap, you can hang something there to hold things down if the wind is strong.

The only problem I have had is the lens freezing up and not focusing in extreme cold. Move them by hand a bit and they were fine. Everyone says to let the camera and lens acclimate and you will have less trouble.

Taking pictures at night is a very different challenge. Your shots came out well. If you got the shutter speed up to at least 1/100th or 1/160th of a second you would get more clarity of the moon. When it is not a full moon it is hard to get enough light. But, it is fun to try.

Here was my attempt at the moon last month - with a 6 second exposure.

Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Also, you could put a film of red over the flashlight, that way, you would retain your night vision.

Thanks

Is that an airplane I see in the second pic?
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

It's a great first try! And Brad, really nice image there!

A few more tips:

*I use a headlamp ($15.00 Energizer) It has a red led light option. No hands needed and it doesn't hurt your night vision.

*Try fingless fleece gloves inside a winter mitt. Since I only use my thumb and index finger on my right hand, I customized a pair of gloves with sizzors. I just wip out my hand, work dials, then shove it back into the mit for recovery.

*I use a cable release, which I put right into the mitt. If not, use the timer to avoid having your hand on the camera to avoid shake.

*I keep a weightless plastic supermarket bag in the pack. It can be hung from the tripod hook, mentioned by Brad, and filled with a rock, etc.

*Practice doing the whole operation in your home at night(lights out), from set-up to shooting a streetlight, or even the moon, through a window.

*My Canon rebels both give an inacurate look on the viewscreen concerning lightness. The pic is always quite darker then it shows on the viewscreen.

*For white balance, it seems like AWB works best until the sky is midnight blue, then Tungsten seems to be more true. Try different WBs.

clear skies
    nature photography of the White Mountains
    by Patrick LaFreniere
    new site: www.pbase.com/myworld