Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: New hiking site

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Hampton, NH
    Posts
    832
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts

    Default New hiking site

    Has anyone tried out EveryTrail (www.everytrail.com) yet?

    You can upload gps data, photos and there's even an app for the iPhone.

    Found someone's "easy way down" video on there, from snowshoeing Mt Avalon
    http://snipurl.com/9dzcj

    Kirk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lovettsville, VA
    Posts
    731
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 112 Times in 67 Posts

    Default

    Nice find! Bookmarked for further reading. Thanks.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Hampton, NH
    Posts
    832
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    I found another one, more for just working out, not hiking

    http://www.gyminee.com

    Signed up on this one, you can track your weight loss, and design challenges/goals that others can work on. I'm "spbyoy" on there, if you sign up and want to add me.

    We could make a "Seek the Peak" goal, of walking X miles or something before it starts.

    Kirk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lovettsville, VA
    Posts
    731
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 112 Times in 67 Posts

    Default

    How timely. After a couple injuries I've been slacking on my workouts. I'll check it out. I've got some new fitness goals to prepare for more strenuous hiking.

    You gonna hike STP this year? Its be cool to finally meet you. Would love to check out how you do the panos in person!
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Hampton, NH
    Posts
    832
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    If I can get my butt in gear and in shape, sure. Right now I'm dealing with a bad cold that has me sleeping more hours than my cat does.

    Of course, whenever I get sick, I get antsy and want to hit the gym, but some how when I'm better, I just wanna veg on the couch

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ashland, NH
    Posts
    368
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spyboy View Post
    Found someone's "easy way down" video on there, from snowshoeing Mt Avalon
    http://snipurl.com/9dzcj

    Kirk
    Tim had a trip like that down the very same trail. Unfortunately, it was a lot more ice and a lot less "poofy snow" when he did it. More like a luge run. He hit a tree on a curve and had to hold on to keep from flying off into the woods.

    Valerie

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,994
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 243 Times in 126 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim&Val View Post
    Tim had a trip like that down the very same trail. Unfortunately, it was a lot more ice and a lot less "poofy snow" when he did it. More like a luge run. He hit a tree on a curve and had to hold on to keep from flying off into the woods.

    Valerie
    We did as well, although we were lucky and the trail was still powdery (the rain storm two days later provided the ice that Tim and Valerie unfortunately encountered). I believe that this was the same hikes that we compared last year with the "tiki tree" (or was it umbrella tree) on the way down. Even with the powder our glisades were a bit less controlled (as well as less planned) than the ones in the video. I was also not smart enough to be taking pictures from above. This was right before I nearly got plowed off the trail.


    Mark

    Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir


    Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Hampton, NH
    Posts
    832
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    Quite a few years ago I remember seeing ski pants with a plastic sled on the butt. It was for little kids, but when I saw it I thought "now why don't they have adult sizes for that"

    After seeing the butt sliding snowshoe video, I think there's definitely a market for pants like that.

    Kirk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,994
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 243 Times in 126 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spyboy View Post
    Quite a few years ago I remember seeing ski pants with a plastic sled on the butt. It was for little kids, but when I saw it I thought "now why don't they have adult sizes for that"

    After seeing the butt sliding snowshoe video, I think there's definitely a market for pants like that.

    Kirk
    If your pants are slippery enough you don't even need the sled (although they don't do much to smooth out the bumps).

    On the other hand, you could carry one of these with you:



    It's called a Swiss Bob. You can't tell from the picture, but it's basically just the size of your butt and you keep your feet/legs up in the air. We had one of these on the sled hill at Cardigan this weekend and it was a real blast! I might have to strap this to my pack next time we do a mountain hike in the snow...
    Mark

    Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir


    Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtruman View Post
    If your pants are slippery enough you don't even need the sled (although they don't do much to smooth out the bumps).

    On the other hand, you could carry one of these with you:



    It's called a Swiss Bob. You can't tell from the picture, but it's basically just the size of your butt and you keep your feet/legs up in the air. We had one of these on the sled hill at Cardigan this weekend and it was a real blast! I might have to strap this to my pack next time we do a mountain hike in the snow...
    SwissBob's on sale at Rugged Bear right now - I just ordered two myself after using them last week in Keene Valley.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •