Thread: New hiking site

Thanks

Default New hiking site

Has anyone tried out EveryTrail (www.everytrail.com) yet?

You can upload gps data, photos and there's even an app for the iPhone.

Found someone's "easy way down" video on there, from snowshoeing Mt Avalon
    http://snipurl.com/9dzcj

Kirk

Thanks

Nice find! Bookmarked for further reading. Thanks.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

I found another one, more for just working out, not hiking

http://www.gyminee.com

Signed up on this one, you can track your weight loss, and design challenges/goals that others can work on. I'm "spbyoy" on there, if you sign up and want to add me.

We could make a "Seek the Peak" goal, of walking X miles or something before it starts.

Kirk

Thanks

How timely. After a couple injuries I've been slacking on my workouts. I'll check it out. I've got some new fitness goals to prepare for more strenuous hiking.

You gonna hike STP this year? Its be cool to finally meet you. Would love to check out how you do the panos in person!
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

If I can get my butt in gear and in shape, sure. Right now I'm dealing with a bad cold that has me sleeping more hours than my cat does.

Of course, whenever I get sick, I get antsy and want to hit the gym, but some how when I'm better, I just wanna veg on the couch

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spyboy View Post
    Found someone's "easy way down" video on there, from snowshoeing Mt Avalon
    http://snipurl.com/9dzcj

Kirk
    Tim had a trip like that down the very same trail. Unfortunately, it was a lot more ice and a lot less "poofy snow" when he did it. More like a luge run. He hit a tree on a curve and had to hold on to keep from flying off into the woods.

Valerie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tim&Val View Post
    Tim had a trip like that down the very same trail. Unfortunately, it was a lot more ice and a lot less "poofy snow" when he did it. More like a luge run. He hit a tree on a curve and had to hold on to keep from flying off into the woods.

Valerie
    We did as well, although we were lucky and the trail was still powdery (the rain storm two days later provided the ice that Tim and Valerie unfortunately encountered). I believe that this was the same hikes that we compared last year with the "tiki tree" (or was it umbrella tree) on the way down. Even with the powder our glisades were a bit less controlled (as well as less planned) than the ones in the video. I was also not smart enough to be taking pictures from above. This was right before I nearly got plowed off the trail.

Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Quite a few years ago I remember seeing ski pants with a plastic sled on the butt. It was for little kids, but when I saw it I thought "now why don't they have adult sizes for that"

After seeing the butt sliding snowshoe video, I think there's definitely a market for pants like that.

Kirk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spyboy View Post
    Quite a few years ago I remember seeing ski pants with a plastic sled on the butt. It was for little kids, but when I saw it I thought "now why don't they have adult sizes for that"

After seeing the butt sliding snowshoe video, I think there's definitely a market for pants like that.

Kirk
    If your pants are slippery enough you don't even need the sled (although they don't do much to smooth out the bumps).

On the other hand, you could carry one of these with you:

It's called a Swiss Bob. You can't tell from the picture, but it's basically just the size of your butt and you keep your feet/legs up in the air. We had one of these on the sled hill at Cardigan this weekend and it was a real blast! I might have to strap this to my pack next time we do a mountain hike in the snow...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtruman View Post
    If your pants are slippery enough you don't even need the sled (although they don't do much to smooth out the bumps).

On the other hand, you could carry one of these with you:

It's called a Swiss Bob. You can't tell from the picture, but it's basically just the size of your butt and you keep your feet/legs up in the air. We had one of these on the sled hill at Cardigan this weekend and it was a real blast! I might have to strap this to my pack next time we do a mountain hike in the snow...
    SwissBob's on sale at Rugged Bear right now - I just ordered two myself after using them last week in Keene Valley.