Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat Question, I need help..

Thanks

Default Cat Question, I need help..

I know that a lot of posters here are cat owners and I need some help please...

I have a cat living with me for two years now and for some reason she has pooped outside of her litter box a couple of times in the last few weeks.

She did it just before Christmas just a few feet from the box. I have a doggie bed from my last dog that I had a towel on, she would sleep on it sometimes. I went to fix the towel and there was business buried in the towel, no idea when she did it. Today I found she did it in two completely different rooms far from her box.

I keep her box clean, I try to clean it at least once a day. We are taking her to the vet on Monday, but I'm just stumped. I have always had dogs, this is my first cat and am wondering if anyone else here has experienced this.

Thanks, Kathy

Thanks

Default No expert

I'm no expert, but are you sure it's poop and not a hairball? Very similar stuff.
    You find these where they happen, not in the litter box.

KDT

Thanks

It's poop, I'm sure...

Texas, currently. Moving back north to New England as soon as possible.
    Thanks

Try changing to another type of litter.

My former cat, Hannibal Lecter never used a litter box, he would go outside with my pit bull and german shepherd and go poop and pee with them. He also growled like a dog though....
    Only one way to go.. Up!

Thanks

I've had cats all my life, and I worked in an animal shelter for about a year a long time ago.

It could be a sign of illness -- or of great stress. For example, years ago, I had to suddenly work double shifts and one of my cats was upset that I was almost never home. She was a very social animal and was not happy that I was never there. She began to "go" outside the litterbox (usually in the middle of my bed ). As soon as the double-shift stint ended (about a month) and I went back to spending the usual time in my apartment, she resumed using the litterbox.

It's good you're seeing the vet, that will hopefully rule out any kind of physical illness.

Also, try scooping the litter box two to three times a day. Some cats are VERY finicky about their litter box always being clean. Also, if you've changed the type of cat litter recently and she doesn't like it, well, that could be it as well.

Thanks

Thank you, I really appreciate any help with this. I'm sorry if it's a gross topic.

She was a stray in E. Hartford that my Fiance took in, she was pretty beat up when he began to feed her. She lived with him a few years as an indoor/ outdoor cat. When he brought her to NJ she became indoor cat. We were afraid she's get killed here or poisoned here if we let her out.

She's been great, she had one accident last spring but that was it. I was shocked a few weeks ago when this started to happen. I thought the Christmas decorations may have upset her, but then she seemed OK. When I found it buried in the towel on her bed I was shocked.

I was away for four days before Christmas, but my Mom lives down stairs and she was fine. I was on vacation all last week and home with her most of the time, I went back to work this week, but no overtime, just 8 hr. days., usually I work alot of hours.

I haven't changed the litter, it's been the same all along. When I checked it after her accident, it was clean.

We think she's about 9 years old and a bit over weight, my fiance is thinking maybe the wet food is becoming too rich for her, but I have no idea. Hopefully the vet will be able to help. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to tolerate this for long if we can't fix it. Tough situation.

Thanks

I can't give any more advice, everyone pretty said what I wanted to. One of cats is very picky about his litter (the one in my avatar) and will leave me "presents" if he is displeased with the quality/cleanliness of the box.

Keep us updated and I hope kitty is fine!

Thanks

I took my cat to the Vet tonight and he said that everything looked OK. She is a little over weight, nice clear eyes, checked her all out and said over all she is healthy.

It seems to be a behavioral problem for some reason. The only thing that I can think of is my sister stopped over with her Schnauzer on Tuesday and that may have upset her, but would she do that 3 days later??

I'm going to buy a new litter box, see if that works. So far she's been good, we'll see...

Thanks

Cats are cats - don't try to explain them. Glad to hear that the vet gave her a clean bill of health. Hopefully she'll get over the Schnauzer-o-phobia (or whatever has her miffed) and stop pooping where she shouldn't. I'm betting that you're not ready to kick her out of the house yet - hard to offset cat's other redeeming qualities
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ColdWeatherClimber View Post
    Try changing to another type of litter.

My former cat, Hannibal Lecter never used a litter box, he would go outside with my pit bull and german shepherd and go poop and pee with them. He also growled like a dog though....
    WoW! My cat does both of those and grew up with dogs. He even barks...well trys to bark.