Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Save the Gas Stove

Thanks

Default Stove

Charlie, I remember you and Jean. I used to bring my truck to you when I lived in Hampstead. We met again at a volunteer cook out a year or two ago. Jean remembered my (ex) wife.

For the curious: Charlie hiked the AT from Springer Mountain to Katahdin when he retired. He and his wife are regular volunteers.

You give in too easy. I have been all for keeping the old stove. I hate change. I don't adapt well.

Note: None of the previous posters has done much cooking on it if any, except maybe Bill, who probably mostly cooked for himself, though he may have eaten a lot of burnt cookies.

I never had a problem with it. In fact, I liked to cook on it. It had character. Like me. It is quite functional as long as you have a clue.

KDT

Thanks

Charlie and Jeanine:

First off, hi to some of the finer of the many fine volunteers that the summit has in their consistently excellent arsenal. Hope all is well with you!

I think you'll find many a split emotion among staff and volunteers...many love the old stove...any have turned out some fine meals on it!

Not me though
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

I'm just in the fan club, I don't have any real say in this matter. Its up to the staff with possibly some insightful tips from the volunteers who do most of the cooking.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I'm with Bill also. I have experienced the stove and if you are a serious cook or chef who wants their food to be beyond expectation then the last thing you want is a stove that won't perform. Many volunteers go up wanting to treat the observers to special meals and it is frustrating to have to battle with the stove and play the guessing game on the oven temperature.

I say either auction it off to the highest bidder or put it in the museum (right next to the exhibit where Nin goes flying by the window).
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    Many volunteers go up wanting to treat the observers to special meals and it is frustrating to have to battle with the stove and play the guessing game on the oven temperature.
    well said steve if and when i go up to cook i would want a stove that will work well so the food i cook comes out the right way with out checking on it all the time
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

There was a thread in July about the stove:
    http://www.mountwashington.org/forum...ead.php?t=3945

This post seemed relevent:

Quote Originally Posted by Bretton Woods Brat View Post
    My arm hairs have grown back in!
    which was in reply to this one:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    .. The burners must be lit with matches or a long lighter and timing is the key to not losing your eyebrows, though I had no issues with this, I could see it as a possible problem......
    Gene .. just one more Swamp Yankee from RI.

Thanks

Haven't been on the forums for awhile....saw that the stove issue has come back to the fore on its own.

I spent a week volunteering and I remember keeping hungry observers waiting for their dinner as it cooked at half speed. I never got it quite right with the timing and tended to work the range top more so I could have control over the heat. I did lose the flame on several occasions and used up at least one box of matches sticking my hand into a gas filled box. I was never sure if I'd have any hair on my arms after each attempt!

I had gone so far as to research a range for the summit but lost contact with those in charge of the ultimate decision. I'm still on board to help.

After reading this thread, I'm thinking perhaps the old stove SHOULD be put on display. Maybe they can use it in the visitors center.

Thanks

My wife is a serious cook and today we were talking about trying to get her to volunteer for a week some summer. The "we" did not include my wife as we were in the snowcat on the way to the summit. If she heard about the stove's condition, I can not imagine she would go. Cooking well means too much and not having reasonable equipment just does not cut it. It does not have to be excellent - but it should work.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

I've now spent three volunteer weeks at the summit, and have had no trouble with the stove/oven (though the hood fan did freeze solid at one point) - by way of example, back in November, I made roast leg of lamb, a cake, pizza, etc., and plenty of other things, all without a hitch...

A new stove would be nice, but I suspect that there are other priorities these days...

Ed

Thanks

Default Yep!

I'm with Ed. Never really had an issue with the stove. Anew stove would be fine, but I don't see an issue with the old one.

KDT