Thread: Hedgehog Mountain and questions pertaining thereto.

Thanks

Default Hedgehog Mountain and questions pertaining thereto.

Greetings again. My brother, dad, and I have been wanting to head up north again for a few weeks now (I haven't had my White Mountain fix since October), but our conflicting work schedules this week offer only Saturday from early morning to four o'clock. That's probably not enough time to do a big mountain and still be assured of getting back to Rochester in time for work, so I was thinking about a cute little mountain called Hedgehog. Unfortunately, the AMC guidebook only mentions it in passing. Does anyone here know how long the round trip is and, more importantly, where the trailhead is? I know it's in Albany, but that doesn't narrow it down all that much.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks

Default Hedgehog

You can hike this in about 3-4 hours depending on speed and breaks. The complete loop is 4.4 miles, 1300' elevation gain. Great hike with great views, not difficult at all. May want some traction, not crampons but maybe snowshoes, though I'm sure you could bareboot it easily.

The trailhead is on the southside of the highway directly across from Passaconaway Campground on the Kancamagus Highway 2 miles west of Bear Notch Road. The sign says UNH Downes Brook and Mt. Potash Trails. The trail leaves east from the parking area. I suggest a clockwise loop which will bring you to open ledges with views before reaching the upper ledges and summit. Enjoy!

http://ghostflowers.smugmug.com/gall...28540515_K4FQ8

KDT

Thanks

Thanks, Kevin. My dad especially is looking forward to it - I think the 4000 footers are starting to look bigger and bigger to him, if you know what I mean. I'll bring back photos of our trek.