Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: Want to climb Mt. Washington, info needed

Thanks

I'm actually already signed up there. I wanted to see if they could tell me how to get a giant flashlight because it'd be fun to have, and scrapped the idea when I realized the cost. I'd probably ask them about the headlamps whenever I decide to buy one, and if it's practical to get a diving headlamp that can be used for both swimming and mountaineering or if I'd be much better off with one suited for each activity.

Edit: For the lithium batteries, yeah, I brought a few for that reason as backups. My alkalines didn't fail on the climb for the camera, and I also made sure to check the light before heading up lion's head, but the lithiums would be been there in case.
    Last edited by b1029384756; 03-19-2009 at 11:37 PM.
    Summa sedes non capit duos

Thanks

Default What A Thread

Wow. It never stops to amaze me the number of people that try to do Mount Washington as a first winter ascent. This is one of the harder winter climbs to do on the EAST coast and to try it as a first I just don't get it. Mount Washington is unforgiving and one error it will make you pay. Believe me I know. I have done Washington in the winter solo but I would not at all recommend it to anyone except those who know Washington inside and out. I still feel the best way to do Washington in the winter is with a guide service. There are top notch guide services out of E.M.S. AND I.M.E. in North Conway. The cost is worth every dime and you gain top notch experience with the safety net. Someone in this thread stated they use a G.P.S. One problem I have seen climbers have with the G.P.S. is that in winter the batteries die due to the severe cold. If you use a G.P.S in winter I have been told they need to be kept inside the coat where it is warmer. I don't use a G.P.S. but I have seen Bluedogs when we were doing Seek The Peak and they really are neat. Again as I have stated before know the mountain and know the weather before deciding to take on Washington in winter. One last thing but most important. Sign the log book at pinkham with your exact route and don't vary from it unless in case of emergency. This could save your life.

Thanks

Rex,

The log book suggestion is very good. What I have started to do also is post on my Google calendar exactly what route I will be taking and my target times. Everyone in the family has shared access to each other's calendar so they can all be informed of the plans. The calendar entry also says who I will call when down and back in cell phone range.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Yeah, both times I made sure to sign the book. Last time I sent a message to a friend when I left in the morning and asked her to call the PNVC if I didn't call her by midnight. There could be a simpler reason why I wouldn't call, such as my cell phone battery dying and my car charger deciding not to work, but she could always call the front desk and ask if I signed out or not, and if I hadn't, they'd at least know something wasn't right.
    Summa sedes non capit duos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Rex,

The log book suggestion is very good. What I have started to do also is post on my Google calendar exactly what route I will be taking and my target times. Everyone in the family has shared access to each other's calendar so they can all be informed of the plans. The calendar entry also says who I will call when down and back in cell phone range.
    This is great advice!!

I always tell several people exactly what time / trails etc.,. just so they are in the loop... Last time I tried to send a text when I was on the summit to let my wife know but of course no network

Also, the log book is very good and it is nice to chat with the people in there; last time the lady at the desk even looked up the current weather at summit and forecast for day on her cpu