Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mount Washington Featured in February National Geographic

Thanks

Default Mount Washington Featured in February National Geographic

Hi everyone,

I'm so proud to finally share this news! (I'm about 40 minutes early, but you've been waiting so patiently... minus Brad...)

Tomorrow, January 15, is the day when the February edition of National Geographic is released... and in its pages is a 12-page feature article about Mount Washington and the work of the Mount Washington Observatory.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...gton/shea-text

This article was two years in the making. Several members of the Observatory crew are in the photos, both in the print and web versions of the story. Nearly 8,000,000 National Geographic readers around the world will learn about this incredible place, and get a glimpse of what it's like to live and work at the Home of the World's Worst Weather.

Once it goes live tomorrow morning, check it out-- especially the photos! One shot of observer Mike Finnegan is the most spectacular Obs "action photo" I've ever seen. Another is of the summit at night and it looks like another planet. Photojournalist Jose Azel did a fantastic job capturing the essence of winter on the mountain.

The magazine arrives in homes beginning tomorrow and on newsstands on January 27.

We will be changing the website a bit to leverage this tremendous opportunity for the Obs. You'll see the magazine cover at the top of every page of the Obs website, with a link to the "story behind the story." From there, you will be able to navigate to the article on the National Geographic site. We've upgraded our web servers so that we will be able to handle the expected spike in traffic. We will also be doing our best to invite as many people as possible to join our email list, get to know our organization and ultimately become supporters of the Observatory. The website changes will kick in tomorrow around 7 AM.

You are all so passionate about the mountain and the Observatory... I hope that you are as excited and proud as I am!

Check out the article on the National Geographic website, beginning tomorrow... Enjoy!

Scot Henley
    MWO Executive Director

Thanks

So very cool :-) Can't wait to pick up a copy!!!!!

Thanks

WOW. That is great news. This could be really big. Hopefully it will mean great funding for years to come.

Looking forward to the great things to come.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

I just can't wait to see the story posted on the Nat Geo site... From what I understand, there may be as many as 12 pics there. The story is great, but the photos are amazing.

Scot

Thanks

Very cool!!!

Wonderful story, but only one photo. Who is that in the photo on the first page?
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    Who is that in the photo on the first page?
    The first pic on the link is of former intern Ryan Buckley. There are more photos in my press release but for some reason not on the stories web page. But I haven't looked at the web story too thoroughly yet.
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)

Thanks

Thanks Scot, I can't wait to pick up my copy and read it.

Mt. Washington is an amazing and beautiful place. Every time I've gone up there I feel like I am on top of the world. Most here in NJ think I'm off my rocker...

Thanks

Kathy,

Most of my friends know I am off my rocker. But anyway - the article and exposure is fantastic. What has the normal web traffic of visitors or pages viewed been over the recent past? It will be interesting to see what the change is when the magazines hit the homes.

I waited patiently (for me) and went to bed last night. Saw it first on Facebook this morning and now here. This is an excellent opportunity to get the word out about the mountain we love and the Observatory's good work.

Scot, excellent timing with the cold blast coming through the northeast.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Fantastic! Can't wait to see all the pictures later today...

Making the papers too...
    http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...4-16c82a96ee3f

For those who know more...
    Is the online story different than the print story? I'd imagine it is...but?
    Last edited by JimS; 01-15-2009 at 06:20 AM.
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

It's live! Go check it out.