Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pemi Loop Jan 24

Thanks

Default Pemi Loop Jan 24

Hi! We are doing the Pemi loop Jan 24 and are planning on finishing in 3 days but bringing food for 5 days. Any advice? We did a dry run in the summer and my only concern is the trail between garfield and lafayette. I am not sure if it will be difficult to find/follow. Also, any reccomended spots to camp? I am assuming there should be a 2 foot base of snow by now. I am really excited! Our plan is to start by doing it counter clockwise.
    Work to live, live to play, but never live to work.
    Check out my adventures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfolcik/sets/

Thanks

Default Loop

I wrote some stuff over on the Galehead thread for you, so check there, too.

There is supposed to be a good place to camp at 3300' on the way to Bondcliff, but you'll probably try for Guyot Shelter the 1st night, correct? Between Garfield and Lafayette would be your next bivy if all goes well.

I don't think there is quite 2 feet of snow. At least not around Galehead. This could and probably will change before the 24th.

Last year I was with a very experienced group on Garfield, (I felt like complete rookie!) They could not find the Garfield Ridge Trail to hike towards Galehead. There was about 8 feet of snow last year as opposed to much less this year, though.

Not much else I can give in the way of advice, you two seem much more experienced than I am at this sort of thing, though I might have more mountains under my belt!

KDT
    Last edited by KD Talbot; 01-15-2009 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks

Good luck on your adventure! I would definitely bring along the USGS quads. The South Twin and Franconia quads show that the trail west of Garfield stays on the ridgecrest almost the whole way to Lafayette. So if you notice a lot of ground higher than you, you probably need to climb up to the spine of the ridge. But before you get to Garfield it's a little more tricky. East of Garfield the trail is more devious, as it sidehills around the two knobs that NH 100 Highest people know about. Bring the maps, and keep them in a nice zip-lock bag so that they don't get wet.

Thanks

Thanks! Keep the info coming! Does anyone have any info on current conditions up there?

Thanks

Default You probably already know this...

but keep an eye on this:

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forum...splay.php?f=13

I see on one of the threads a lot of people are bailing out of long hikes this weekend because of the extreme temps. Watch the weather close for nest weekend, should be better.

KDT

Texas, currently. Moving back north to New England as soon as possible.
    Thanks

Sounds like a lot of fun! You two have an excellent time and take lots of pictures
    Only one way to go.. Up!

Thanks

Here is our plan.
    Day one: make it to guyot camp area. set up camp and spend the night. If we are moving really quick then camp near galehead hut.
    Day two: make it over Garfield and find camp as close to lafeyette as we can
    Day three: Hike out or spend night at liberty springs camp area if we are too beat to keep going.
    Day four: go to dinner and celebrate!!

My biggest concern is navigation and traveling from Garfield to Lafayette.

Texas, currently. Moving back north to New England as soon as possible.
    Thanks

I was wondering if you did a pre-winter recon trip and took waypoints with your gps to use for a whiteout... If not, triangulating yourself with major landmarks will help if not whited out.
    Only one way to go.. Up!

Thanks

we did a practice run (clockwise) this summer and put a few key points into it. We will be putting in important trail intersections into the GPS manually before going out there. Because of how remote this will be we want to be as prepared as possible and figure out all escape routes just in case we need to bail.

Thanks

Well, I heard NH got a lot of snow. So, my question is: Does anyone know the conditions of anything in the Pemi loop? I am planning on a lot of trail breaking. Any updates throughout the week will be greatly appreciated.
    Our new plan is to see how day 1 goes, set up camp, and make a decision. If we are unable to make it to the Guyot camp areas by the end of day one I think we will just do an out and back hike. I am thinking that the ridge between Garfield and Lafayette will be a trailbreaking nightmare. If we get to that point and it seems unbearable we will just have to bail. So, if anyone has any conditions to post please do!
    Thanks! - K