Thread: Rainier in May or June.

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Rainier in May or June.

Mornin', ya'll. I've decided that it's time to fulfill a life-long dream of mine; to climb the crown jewel of lower 48 mountaineering, Mount Rainier. 14,410 feet of pure magnificence. I can't wait. Unfortunately, solo climbers are not permitted, not even on Disappointment Cleaver - the easiest route, without written permission. And apparently it's almost impossible to get said written permission without a lot of past experience on glaciated peaks. Soooo....I need a traveling companion for the trip. I'm looking on another website (SummitPost), but I figured it was worth asking here too. Is anyone by any chance planning their own trip out west during those two months who wouldn't mind my hooking up?
    A lot to ask, I know, but I figure most people who are climbing The Mountain are in the same straights as I; no permission to climb alone.

Anyway, thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Texas, currently. Moving back north to New England as soon as possible.
    Thanks

I have an itinerary myself. My friend here locally seems to have an obsession with climbing Ranier, but I wouldn't wish him on you because he has no experience. He has asked me to climb Ranier with him, but he wants to do one of the easier routes, AND higher a guide. I told him we don't need a guide, but he's adamant about it. On my own itinerary, I had Liberty Ridge listed for my own personal objective on Ranier. However my friend is clearly not up to that so I am in a quandry. I might just go with him to keep him company on the other route so he can have a good time. I did however leave that open... to 'sometime in the future'.

I have several I want to tick off my own list. Presi Traverse, then Grand Teton, after that possibly something in Alaska or over to the Matterhorn. Ranier has always been a back burner for me. I never understood the obsession for the mountain.
    Only one way to go.. Up!