Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mt Waumbek - 1/10/2009

Thanks

Default Mt Waumbek - 1/10/2009

Hi!

I haven't been on the forum in a long time! Life, family obligations, holidays, headcolds and house guests have kept us off the forum and off the trails for many weeks, it seems.

Last Saturday, we decided that we HAD to climb despite the frigid temps. We opted for Mt Waumbek. In hindsight, we should have been out in the sun on a ridge somewhere. It was a gorgeous day with not a breath of wind.

We had a wonderful walk, but at one point it's possible that I succumbed to the same fate as Alex (I think it was on Waumbek too). Tim had to pump me full of food and fluids as I was feeling really low by the time we returned to Mt Starr King summit. Either it was dehydration or else it was just "out-of-shape-ness". Not really sure. Since we only had to descend at that point, my spirits picked up regardless.

I'm finding that we hit all the really low-hanging fruit last year with our winter 4Ks. The ones that are left on the list all look really daunting right now.

Waumbek Trip

Valerie

Thanks

Default Gorgeous!

Your trip report brings back fond memories of this hike on a similar day. We met Tom and Atticus here. Between Starr King and Waumbek I got my first "spruce trap" experience. Went in right up to my chest. Struggled for a long time to get out. Emma found it hilarious. Wouldn't stop licking my face!

I love the shot of Franconia Ridge framed by the trees.

The corner store in Jefferson has the best pizza around! I can't pass through without stopping!

KDT

Thanks

I just got done reading this and I think its an excellent report with great pics! Very, very well done. Though the remaining peaks seem daunting I'm sure you'll get them done.
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

Thanks

Wow, your pictures are wonderful. Really nice TR!

Sorry to hear you were beset with the same thing Alex experienced, but good to know you were able to resolve it quickly.

Your pictures really are outstanding.

Thanks

Great to see you guys back out there Val. Just a wonderful TR and photos. These are some of the most beautiful pics from a winter hike that I've seen. Looks like something out of a winter fairytail. Sorry you had to suffer through part of it but looks like all turned out well. Thanks for sharing.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Thumbs up

Great day and great pics! Thanks.
    ~Rich

Thanks

very nice pictures of the trees

question i saw that you were walking on trails that looked like they were packed down a little ,how come you still use the snow shoes .
    i never used them before and now that i have a pair i was asking does it still help ,or could you use the other things they use on there shoes [not crampons ]
    just for my info thanks
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Hey Val! What a great TR! The pictures are beautiful and make me so jealous that I'm not there. Good to see back!
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Default When to use snowshoes

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    very nice pictures of the trees

question i saw that you were walking on trails that looked like they were packed down a little ,how come you still use the snow shoes .
    i never used them before and now that i have a pair i was asking does it still help ,or could you use the other things they use on there shoes [not crampons ]
    just for my info thanks
    Hi Charlie!
    The question of when to use snowshoes has lots of different answers...

In the case of Waumbek, we started out in bare boots. The group of 15 in front of us were all in snowshoes. One would think that they would pack it down well enough that we could walk without the snowshoes, but it was so cold (and thus the snow was so fluffy) that it didn't truly compact. Obviously, it is easy to see where the trail is and to follow it, but the snow didn't stick together well. So, we found that in our bare boots, we were still working harder because we were slipping in the fluffy snow and losing 20% of our distance on every step. Most times, 15 people in snowshoes would be enough to create a nice solid trail.

In general, we always carry at least two types of traction in winter. I think Tim is at the point where he always carries his crampons and his snowshoes. I have both of those plus Stabilicers. We normally try to bare-boot any time that it is working well, because when it works well, it's the least tiring for us.

Stabilicers are the next lowest impact on our feet/legs.

Both crampons and snowshoes tend to reduce our longevity on the trail. Due to the weight on our feet and also the fact that they make us walk somewhat unnaturally, we tend to end up sore if we spend a lot of miles in them.

So, we carry different types and usually have to change traction a couple times during a trip depending on the conditions. On Waumbek, once we put the snowshoes on, we left them on for the entire trip, but there is no "steep section" on the trail to Waumbek. I thought that East Osceola was too steep for me to continue in the snowshoes, despite the fact that I did need the traction that they provide. That's why I switched into the crampons.

Some people did the entire Osceola trip in snowshoes. I have no idea how they did it, but we saw them.

Everyone's different! You'll figure out your needs once you get out there. Just don't leave an option at home and then wish you had it on the trail.

Hope this helps!
    Valerie

Thanks

Default Shoes

Val, do your snowshoes have televators? Makes all the difference in the world on the steeps.