Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mt Waumbek - 1/10/2009

Thanks

No they don't! And now that I see those heel lifts on all the new snowshoes online, you know what this means? I need to buy new gear!

Kevin, what does Jude use? I see that both the MSRs and the new Atlas Elektras have the heel lift. My current 'shoes are Atlas Elektras but probably three years old.

Thanks

Awesome pics and TR!!!! It looks so beautiful with the snow all over the trees! I love winter! The bird pictures are really cool too!!!
    Work to live, live to play, but never live to work.
    Check out my adventures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfolcik/sets/

Thanks

I agree with DangerGirl. I love the bird pictures. I've never seen a gray jay in person. Are they always that friendly or is it the lure of food?

Thanks for the TR! All of the pictures are awesome!

Thanks

Smile

On the snowshoes, I use the Denali Evo Ascents. They are awesome and the televators are the coolest thing! I am picking up the 6" tails at REI today for our pemi trip this weekend so I can't wait to see if they make a difference!
    Work to live, live to play, but never live to work.
    Check out my adventures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfolcik/sets/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvtahike View Post
    Are they always that friendly or is it the lure of food?
    They are sometimes more prevalent at some peaks than others. They come right to you on the Hancocks and Jackson for instance.
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

Thanks

Default Shoes

Jude has the Atlas Electra E-10. They are 23" and have a televator. Also, they have the one strap pull system. Just put them on and pull the strap. No fussing with the straps. The one drawback she has found is they throw a lot of snow up her backside, which we have never experienced with any other pair. The solution is a light, waterproof shell pant, but sometimes it's very hot when hiking.

Jude tried the MSR Lightning Ascents and hated them for reasons she can explain better than I. She loves her Atlas'.

I like my Lightning Ascents, but I have had the crampon break off on the summit of North Tripyramid which was a long limp out. They sent me a new one, but it didn't do me any good that day. Even if I had spare parts with me there was no way I could have made that repair in the field. I could barely get it done at home with the proper tools. The clasps were very tiny and hard to work with, especially with my calloused fingers. With their light weight the metal used for the crampon is sort of flimsy.

If I were going to go buy a new pair today I would buy the MSR Denali Evo Ascents like Dangergirl. Similar to the Lightnings, but plastic body and sturdier crampon. I've noticed a lot of hardcore winter hikers choose these. If you buy them at REI you can use them and if you don't like them they'll take them back no questions asked.

I've sort of resigned myself to the fact that snowshoes are going to wear out like hiking boots and I'll have to replace them every year or two.

KDT
    Last edited by KD Talbot; 01-19-2009 at 01:22 PM.

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dangergirl View Post
    On the snowshoes, I use the Denali Evo Ascents. They are awesome and the televators are the coolest thing! I am picking up the 6" tails at REI today for our pemi trip this weekend so I can't wait to see if they make a difference!
    Thanks for the advice, DangerGirl! I look forward to reading your trail report and seeing how they did for you this coming weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by luvtahike View Post
    Are they always that friendly or is it the lure of food?
    Quote Originally Posted by FisherCat View Post
    They are sometimes more prevalent at some peaks than others. They come right to you on the Hancocks and Jackson for instance.
    We've also come across Gray Jays consistently at a couple locations - like the intersection of Mt Tom Spur and A-Z trail, and also on Mt Starr King. I think that the personality of the species is very daring. I've never seen one that *wouldn't* come right down to us. They will come sit in the tree next to you before you even have food out... but that could just be because they know that when the humans come through the woods, they always have food.

Thanks

Val thanks for clearing things up ,from the picture i could not tell the snow was soft and now i see why you have them on .
    i wish it would snow more then 1" at a time so i can try my snow shoes
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Val thanks for clearing things up ,from the picture i could not tell the snow was soft and now i see why you have them on .
    i wish it would snow more then 1" at a time so i can try my snow shoes
    Just come a little further north. Plenty of snow here. Plenty of snowshoeing here for a change. Come on up!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page