Thread: East Osceola 1/17/2009

Thanks

Default East Osceola 1/17/2009

Hi again! I guess I'm just catching up from my absence.

When we left the car on Saturday, we intended (of course) to hit both East Peak and Mt Osceola in one trip. This was an extremely challenging hike. By the time we got to the East Peak, we knew that we needed to keep what energy we had for the trip down, so we sat at the viewpoint and enjoyed it for awhile, then came straight back down.

I really need to learn how to relax on the steep downhills. We were passed by a half-dozen people on the way down who either were butt-sliding (at, like, 20MPH!!) for a half-mile or who could just walk straight down the steeps in their crampons. I expend a lot of energy trying to control, balance and hold myself back.

Since we didn't get Mt Osceola, we'll need to revisit this trip again in the future. Maybe we'll wait a couple years and see if someone decides to open Tripoli Rd in winter.

East Osceola Trip

Valerie

Thanks

I love those pictures of the frosted snow covered trees. What a great - very tough - day.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Great trip report and looks like you guys had a good day. Well until the slide. I'm glad everybody is alright but I have to admit I was laughing my a$$ off when I was reading it. Great pictures. Thanks for posting.

Thanks

Default Osceola

Osceola is our white whale. Seems silly. In summer it's probably one of the easier 4k hikes from the Tripoli Road, but in winter coming from the Kanc side because Tripoli Road is closed, it's a whole nuther story!

Twice we've tried and failed. First time we made East Osceola and turned back because I was cold and Jude was exhausted. Last winter we tried again. This time we struggled up through unconsolidated snow to the bottom of the slide. Here we found a traffic backup of folks that couldn't gain purchase. One guy was literally hugging a tree, afraid to move for fear of an uncontrollable slide. Others were putting on crampons in the middle of the trail and things got too hairy with Emma trying to dodge crampons. We turned back.

We are considering the long road walk from the Livermore Road parking area to get Osceola.

Almost forgot! Great TR and pics!

KDT

Thanks

Congratulations on what looked like a seriously difficult hike! You made East Osceola, that's no mean feat.

Your pictures are great!

Thanks

Wow, what a slide, I mean trip! Please consider bringing a video camera with you and just leave it on all the time. Glad you're both OK! Nice pics.
    ~Rich

Thanks

nice pictures thanks
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Default East Osceola

Good to see that you conquered East Osceola and are back on the trails again. Nice pics and report. Have you considered buying the Kahtoola Microspikes instead of using the crampons? We bought ours last winter and find they are great, as many others have said too, instead of the heavy crampons.