Thread: The Mt Washington Hotel - A Look Back!

Thanks

Default The Mt Washington Hotel - A Look Back!

Every time I visit the Mount Washington Hotel, it never fails to take me back in time to the gilded age of the "Grand Hotel". While my relative, and a great hotelier Asa T. Barron died before the erection of the hotel, I can't begin to imagine what he would have though of her. I also think back even farther than my families involvment, to that of the Crawford family. These men and women settled the White Mountains, and erected the first rude shacks known questionably as Inns, but not nearly by todays standards. What would the "Veteran Pilot" Abel crawford think of this collossal hotel, whose being was made possible by pioniers like Crawford, who sacrificed much, to make the mountains mor accesible. The hotel was built in 1902 by an Coal magnate Joseph Stickney at a conciderable cost for the time. It has served ellegently for 107 years, and I hope through conservation that it will see another century go bye at least! So even if you don't stay there, go visit and walk around, and get the feel of the place. For there is none like it anywhere!

Thanks

Someday when I'm rich I'd love to stay there. So far the closest I've gotten is the Bretton Woods ski touring building. I'd like to stay at the Balsams, too. Same kind of place. Very grand! A different kind of travel back then, taking the train with a big steamer trunk full of outfits to wear, and staying a long time once you got there.

Thanks

Default mt washington hotel

My 3 children bought my wife and I a 2 night stay with meals for our wedding anniversary recently - we stayed there last November - it's a grand place and I enjoyed every minute of it. I hated to leave. While expensive, I higly recommend it as a once in a lifetime experience.
    Tim

Thanks

Default The Mt Washington Hotel-A Look Back!

I am glad you enjoyed your stay there, and while expensive it is an experience that I am sure you will never forget. I stay there yearly, and enjoy it more knowing that I walk in the foot steps of my Great Grandfather who roamed these halls, checking out his competition. There are few Grand Hotels of the size and stature of this one, and even to go and just look around is better then having never been! Take care.