Hey all ..
In prep for a March hike, I've been slowly accumulating the gear recommended by REI (see "Gear List" tab here: http://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/weekend/mww.html). The problem I have is I'm not sure I know how to combine what I've purchased correctly. I'm not just talking about what to wear, but which order as well so it will function at an optimal level as I remove or add layers. I read part of another thread that covered some of this topic, but was hoping to impose upon the experts for some specific examples with my current list:
- - WindStopper Tech Pant
- - Verglas Gaiters
- - Butter Balaclava (will be purchasing a Patagonia R1 as well)
- - Wool cap
- - The North Face Ruckwell Crew Shirt
- - Columbia Sportswear Omni-Dry Mountain Tech T-Shirt
- - REI Switchback Gloves (I?ll get mittens as well ? prob OR Ati)
- - Sportif Tamarac Trail Half-Zip Pullover
- - Gordini Midweight Underwear Zip Top
- - Gordini Midweight Underwear Crew
- - Gordini Midweight Long Underwear Bottoms
- - Marmont water/wind shell
- - Sierra Design water/wind pants
- - Heavy Fleece jacket
I know I need a down parka and mountaineering boots.
And, my question on the shells isn?t where (obviously, outer), but when? From the start or only when the snow and/or winds make it necessary. Pull them over the gaiters or remove gaiters and put them back on over outer shell?
For hiking up Mt. Washington in winter (or any of the Whites), what am I missing?
The root of all these questions is that I felt over clothed on my last trek, yet got very chilled when I stopped to rest (despite adding layers). I also became frustrated with the issue of a pack. My layers would be perfect for my front, but my back would sweat. Or perfect for my back and my front would be chilled. You?d think they would have invented dual insulation wear so there was less on your back when carrying a big pack. ;-)
I am open to better equipment suggestions if it is truly a necessary item, but I?ve already gone over my initial budget so if what I have will work, I?m ok with it.
Thanks guys/gals ? let my education commence ?