Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a mountain to climb in a few weeks

Thanks

Default Looking for a mountain to climb in a few weeks

I will be coming home for a long weekend from college in a few weeks and I want to climb a peak that can hopefully tie me over until Spring break. I was severely disappointed this past Christmas break that I was unable to attempt Mount Washington. However, I was able to get some above tree-line hiking on Mount Mansfield and on Mount Cardigan.
    As of now I am unsure if I will be able to get a small team together to hike, so it looks like Mount Washington will be out of sight for this break. Other summits that peaked my curiosity (pun intended) were Mount Lafayette and Mount Chocorua.
    I would like to climb a mountain that is above tree-line, as this is what makes winter hiking interesting for me. I think that a peak over 4,000 feet would be of interest since I hope to eventually get the top of all 48 of them (hopefully in the winter someday).
    Although no hiking is safe if done alone, I am experienced, I have the equipment, and would take all the needed precautions.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Pierce, with the option of Eisenhower if the weather is great and the winds are calm.

Pierce will get you above treeline, and going over to Eisenhower from Pierce will keep you above treeline.

The great thing about Pierce is that it's sheltered almost all the way to the top....if you get to Pierce and things look dicey, you have a good escape route (going back the way you came).

The views from Pierce (and Eisenhower, if the weather warrants) are fantastic. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks

If you don't mind crowds, that old standby Falling Waters/ Old Bridle Path over Lafayette and Lincoln is a great one. And if you're going solo in winter, sometimes it's good to plan something that's well-travelled. Up Falling Waters and down Old Bridle Path is the best direction to go in unless there are strong winds out of the north. Going up either end, you can decide if conditions above treeline are to your liking before proceeding further. Franconia Ridge is spectacular.

P.S. Please, anyone referring to the Old Bridle Path, don't call it the Old Bridal Path. That always kills me--like there was a procession of brides going up it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krummholz View Post
    P.S. Please, anyone referring to the Old Bridle Path, don't call it the Old Bridal Path. That always kills me--like there was a procession of brides going up it?
    This help?

Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MechAeroE View Post
    Any suggestions?
    I second the opinion on Lafayette. Views from Franconia are awesome. I went up in November when only the last 1.5 miles had snow/ice. You can see pics/comments here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1379500386

I'd also recommend Adams via Lowe's path, although the bulk of the hike is in the trees so there is not a lot in the way of views until a mile / mile and a half below the summit. The plus is there is Gray Knob and Crag Camp if you want a safe area to get out of the wind and cook/eat/rest. I went to the camps for an overnight just a few days ago (tons of snow):

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1379500386

Looking forward to hearing about your trip and seeing some pics!

Links above are both the public side and should allow anyone to view.

Thanks

I also have another question. To officially climb the 48 4000 footers, according to the AMC, when I climb the different presidentials, do I need to individually summit each one, or is something like a presidential traverse acceptable?

Thanks

Default Rules

The AMC rules state a 200' col between peaks, which in my interpretation means yes, it would count.

http://www.amc4000footer.org/

http://www.amc4000footer.org/faq.htm#rules1

"You are allowed to count any number of peaks on a single trip and do not necessarily have to end up at the trailhead from which you started (many peaks are commonly done as a traverse, e.g. Bonds, Presidentials)."

KDT

Thanks

Well, I decided that I will actually go for Mount Washington. I will head up there sometime this weekend since I have until Monday off. I start at Pinkham Notch, and walk to hermit lake, and then take lion's head to the summit. Although the days are getting longer, it still is getting dark somewhat early compared to later in the season. With a moderate pace, how long would you estimate that the round trip is? Has anyone been up there recently to report on the conditions on the trail?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks

Hi there --

You are allowed to bag multiple peaks in a single trip for the 4000 footer club.

Regarding Washington this weekend -- make sure you check this site's upper summit forecast the morning of your hike. Sat (tomorrow) is supposed to be awful in terms of wind chill/ wind speeds. Sunday isn't as bad, but will still require full face protection, including goggles, and perhaps an ability to navigate in white-out conditions.

For trail conditions, Views From The Top has a trail report section. There are relatively recent reports on the Ammonoosuc Trail, among others.

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forum...splay.php?f=13

This is an extremely valuable resource, I check it many times when planning a hike.

If it's too windy for Washington, check out the forecast for the wind speeds and temps at other altitudes (the wind/temps can be much different at 4000 feet).

http://www.eotsweb.org/forecasts.php
    http://adds.aviationweather.gov/winds/