Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a mountain to climb in a few weeks

Thanks

Well those white-out conditions make me weary of going solo. I think if I attempt it Sunday, I will go to hermit lake and reevaluate the situation there since its an easy hike to that point. Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks

Sure -- and there might not be any white-out conditions, I don't know....just thinking about the wind picking up speed and throwing snow around...

Tomorrow and Sunday's upper summit forecast will bring more updated info, it'll be easier to make a decision when you have that in hand.

Thanks

This is not an official forecast but looking ahead for ya (and others), if you are aiming for Sunday, you needn't worry about white out conditions. By Sunday, we are expected to clear from the fog, get to lower teens above, winds decreasing to 25-40 mph with mostly sunny skies above. If I were doing a hike this weekend, Sunday or Monday would be the day I would be choosing. Sunday would come first though as Monday is looking to be cloudy with a chance of fog and a slight chance of snow. But as always, hike to a point where you feel safe. It is safer to head down than up.
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)

Thanks

Thanks Ryan.
    Without trying to continue to be a nuisance with questions, how busy do you think I could expect the trails to be? If I am going solo, knowing that there will be some traffic might be comforting.

Thanks again everyone!

Thanks

The trails should be fairly busy with it being the middle of a holiday weekend and with decent weather projected. The traffic might start thinning as you start going up Lions Head but even then there should be enough people. I would recommend starting as early as possible though because the later you are out the fewer people become. This time of year, I would say no matter where you are, turn around by 2 pm. But this differs based on peoples abilities and equipment and experience. But an average hiker with average equipment, 2 is the time we usually advise for February when we see people on the summit. And if hiking alone, tell friends and family where you are going along with trails you are taking and a time in the evening that you will check in by as well as signing in and out at Pinkham Notch (most importantly). You can also find people on the trail that might hake at your pace and ask to tag along with them, I've done that. Safety in numbers ya know.
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)

Thanks

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I was out on the trail by 7 AM, and was one of the first ones out there. Getting the Lion's head and some of the steeper sections was much quicker of a hike than I thought it would be. Unfortunately, things did not go how I would have liked them to. I got up a good portion of the steeper sections at the start of Lion's head. There was one part right near the beginning of the steeper section that required a lot of careful steps, use of ice axe, and grabbing onto roots and such. Soon after this though, I had crampon issues. I have been using crampons that max out for a size 11 boot. My boots are size 12. The heel of my boot has always rested on the top of the back metal piece of the crampon, which is not good, but usually worked. However, for some of the steeper sections, it wasn't cutting it, and I had to constantly readjust them to keep them on. Eventually, I took one step and the bar that connects them bent. I decided to head back down.

I have a week off from school 3 weeks from now, and I will certainly attempt it then. However, this will certainly eat at me for the next few weeks as I have to wait to summit.

The other thing is that I do not have plastic boots like almost everyone else coming up had. I think I might just rent some plastic boots.

Thanks

Congrats on getting out there, even though you didn't get as far as you'd like.

Each hike (that you come back safely on) is a success. You always learn something about yourself, your gear, the mountain. It's all good (even though you're probably feeling frustrated right now).

I've no doubt you'll get up there once day, probably soon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MechAeroE View Post
    The other thing is that I do not have plastic boots like almost everyone else coming up had. I think I might just rent some plastic boots.
    I rented boots from IME last week. They are open late on Fridays which really helps. I do not know their hours on a Saturday. Make sure you really fit the boots well and have the right amount of socks to be comfortable. For the small walking we did around the summit I was fine. I would have been fine climbing up (which we did not have to do that day). But going down would have been a problem based on the fit. It would be a long day in boots that do not fit well.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012